Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2001 zx6r... completly stock... The bike ran perfect... One day i took it on a 75 mile ride... I ran it kinda hard the entire way (about 100MPH).. When i got there the bike did have the throttle response that it used to but it ran fine... Just not as fast... only mods at the time was a k&n air filter... My dealer told me that it probably just broke in but i'm sure it wasn't that... The bike had 2500 miles on it at the time... Are you guys familiar with the air suction valve on the bike? I thought maybe that could be the problem but i can't seem to pull it out... scared of breaking it... any help is appreciated.. thanks

2001 Yellow ZX-6R

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Where did you drive from/to? If you had a decent elevation change, you would experience the normal power loss assosiated with it.

Also, when an engine is fully warmed up, it will feel like its making less power than when its cold. Chances are it actually is making a couple hp more.

There are dozens of reasons why a bike runs differently at the end of a long ride than when it started the trip. As long as the bike runs fine the next time you ride it, everything's okay.

BC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i had a similar problem awhile back... everything seemed fine... but the bike seemed to be lacking power. I was having trouble getting the front wheel up for wheelies. The dealer mentioned it could be the gas i was using, or something within the engine that may need to be checked (forgot what he said about that :p)...

luckily it was the gas from the specific gas station i had been going to the last two times for fill ups. I went to another gas station after emptying my gas tank, and it runs great again.

i dunno if this will help you, seems kinda stupid, but hopefully, your problem's solution is something as easy as this...

also, I bought my bike new, and after breaking it in, it seemed to me to not be as fast. But i think thats just normal as u get used to riding and the parts are broken in.
i think if u weren't getting enuff air through the suction valve, your bike would have a very discernable power loss or it would seem to lose power at ceratin speeds. Because I had gotten into an accident awhile back and was riding with my upper fairing a little off center so air was not getting in as well. Anyways, at highway speeds my bike seemed to leak power because of the airflow, it would occur on and off where the engine would actually slow me down... but as soon as i had everything lined up again, it was good to go.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there was no elevation change during my ride... and the bike isn't as fast since then... I was also told that i could have had bad gas but i have emptied the tank several times since then but its still the same...

2001 Yellow ZX-6R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.