Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, someone decided they were above the law and did not have to complete a stop at a stop sign. Instead they just ran it, and cut me off causing me to have only enough reaction time to slow down before I was forced into the curb causing me to land on the sidewalk, and then bounce in the bushes. My helmet was halo'd, bikes scratched and my clavicle is broken in a few spots. Did I see the car, yes, it was black. First i saw car, then I saw bushes. Did he stop NOPE. kept on going...All i could do, was pick the bike up and ride home after assesing no rim damage or rotor bending.

Anyway, now i have a small fear of leaning the bike for a turn and I don't know why. It seems when I take turns that im used to, i can't lean anymore and end up just shooting straight out of the apex with minimal turning...can anyone help me with this...I was eating lunch looking at my rear tire and see that im starting a flat patch in the middle from straight riding before i laid it down it was even wear all over the tire removing the chicken strips....I hate stupid drivers...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sorry to hear that man, some people are just self centered assholes.:mad:

The fear of leaning has hit my friend in the same way. His rear tire went flat as he was crossing some wet train tracks and he lost the rear end and went down. He was going perfectly strait at the time so he doesn't understand why he's afraid to lean it over in a curve but he essentially lost faith in his tires. He's actively trying to work through it though by running through twisty sections of road, hopefully he'll improve little by little until he gets over it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sons of Biatches.....I would have gotten back on the bike, all bloody and bruised and chased the guy down....gotten real close to the car....jumped off the bike and onto the roof of his car...and woulda punched a hole through the roof like they do in movies and beat the shiiiit outta the driver....then I woulda pooped in his mouth and record it while i do it so I can put it on the internet and be the next big "craze" like 2 girls 1 cup!....

That sounded so much better in my head *calms down* ....I just get upset when I read/hear stuff like this. Homeboy could have killed you and didnt even bother to stop.

As long as you're alright man thats all that matters. People are always going to drive stupid, and they only get worse as time goes by.

As far as the leaning...its cool to be a little shaken up after that. You'll regain the confidence in due time.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Sons of Biatches.....I would have gotten back on the bike, all bloody and bruised and chased the guy down....gotten real close to the car....jumped off the bike and onto the roof of his car...and woulda punched a hole through the roof like they do in movies and beat the shiiiit outta the driver....then I woulda pooped in his mouth and record it while i do it so I can put it on the internet and be the next big "craze" like 2 girls 1 cup!....

*snip*

As far as the leaning...its cool to be a little shaken up after that. You'll regain the confidence in due time.
No more TV for you...:cool:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Since when was 2 girls 1 cup on TV, more like no more youtube for you :p

Yea the fear of leaning is normal after having gone down, gotta work up the confidence that the bike won't fall.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dude, that sucks. I'm sorry that happened to you.

It's totally normal to lose confidence after a wreck. In fact, if you didn't, there's probably something wrong with you! It's not a totally bad thing, if you think about it. This is your chance to start over and get rid of any bad habits you had before. Take your time. Just ride to enjoy yourself. Don't stress too much about how fast you can go or how far you can lean.

Do you have a track near you? Once you start getting a little more comfortable again, spring for a track day. Push yourself where you're going to be safe. Plus track days are a hell of a lot of fun!

Good luck man, and speedy recovery.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I actually got more confident in leaning after laying mine down. I came around a turn to fast, and a more experienced rider would have just leaned over more and been fine, but i was afraid to hit the brakes in the turn, so i stood it straight and hit the brakes. The front tire made it over the curb, but my when my back tire hit, it bounced my ass on to my tank and my stomach onto my windscreen. I thought i was going to save it till the handlebars went into a left and right frenzy. I had to let it go :(

That experiece has taught me to lean it over a little farther next time no matter how freaked out I got. Eventually on that same turn on the same road gradually leaning it over more and more actually built my confidence to trust the engineering of my bike of how far it can lean. I'm no where near scraping my pegs like my buddies, but i'm perfectly comfortable digging into that turn that bit me going twice as fast as when I wrecked. Just gotta do it. Just be careful and don't try to drag your knee right away. Ease yourself into it, and it will come.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I actually got more confident in leaning after laying mine down. I came around a turn to fast, and a more experienced rider would have just leaned over more and been fine, but i was afraid to hit the brakes in the turn, so i stood it straight and hit the brakes. The front tire made it over the curb, but my when my back tire hit, it bounced my ass on to my tank and my stomach onto my windscreen. I thought i was going to save it till the handlebars went into a left and right frenzy. I had to let it go :(

That experiece has taught me to lean it over a little farther next time no matter how freaked out I got. Eventually on that same turn on the same road gradually leaning it over more and more actually built my confidence to trust the engineering of my bike of how far it can lean. I'm no where near scraping my pegs like my buddies, but i'm perfectly comfortable digging into that turn that bit me going twice as fast as when I wrecked. Just gotta do it. Just be careful and don't try to drag your knee right away. Ease yourself into it, and it will come.
Your situation is a bit different, you didn't put the bike into a lean and then lose it. You also must not have taken the MSF course or been formerly taught, #1 rule is when you go into a corner too hot and don't think you'll make it lean the bike farther than you ever have before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts