Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, as you can guess it didn't go well at all today. So here's what happens:
I arrive 30 minutes early to the courtroom, in nice jeans and a polo shirt.

As court starts and the judge is funneling $$ through his little courtroom, EVERY YES EVERY person who went up for speeding was asked if they would like to go to traffic school and have the ticket dropped.

The lady who goes up in front of me is obviously using her very tight shirt and pants to her advantage, as she adjusted her underwire the entire time the judge was talking to her. Her charge was 28 over and no insurance (and does not plan on having insurance for 2 weeks)... her fine... traffic school, fine for insurance and court.

3 people (one of which was 15) were driving without a drivers license.... All got traffic school + court costs..

all right now me... I was very polite, professional, kept eye contact... pleaded guilty... BAM pay the FINE... even the court clerk questioned the judge as to me taking traffic school... his reply "26 over yeah he's paying it"... Either they don't like bikers or those from surrounding counties I don't know which.

Now I am looking at $174 in fine and 5 points[xx(]

I am making a couple of phone calls back to that city clerk, and to my city's traffic court judge with whom I am friends

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Damn dude, bummer...down here all you do is mail in your ticket with "take defensive driving" checked and if they approve you your good to go, you end up paying a little less but enough of the ticket ( altogether I think I payed 140 ish ), but you get a discount on insurance then and your ticket stays on the dl...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Greeeeat... this makes me look forward to my court date even more. 4 tix from a state trooper: reckless driving, speeding (90 in 60), following too close, and improper lane change. Shit, according to the website, I could even go to jail...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I learned a lot time ago to dress down for court. An acquaintence of mine was caught speeding on his bike. He's in finance, so he goes down to court before work in his suit and tie (regular work cloths). Everyone in front of him is in jeans and t-shirts and guess what - they all get slaps on the wrist (including some guy who had a DWI, unbelievable). He gets up there and the judge decides he's got dough, so maximum fine.

If you go to court, wear crappy cloths. Pretend to be poor (or, if you're poor, don't pretend to be rich).

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Originally posted by antimatter

If you go to court, wear crappy cloths. Pretend to be poor (or, if you're poor, don't pretend to be rich).
I disagree. I say dress respectably, but not overly wealthy...don't go in there looking like a slob, especially if you're in there for something pretty serious, but also don't go in trying to out-dress the judge and clerk and translator put together.

I went in with slacks, soft leather loafers (not the shiny kind), a shirt and tie (what I was wearing to work later that day). The police report basically said, "Here's what he was doing, but I let him off EASY with one count of misdemeanor reckless driving because he was cooperative and agreeable." So the judge sees the offense, but sees that I was polite and respectable to the officer at the initial traffic stop, and I was polite and respectable to the judge (wearing shitty clothes to court, IMO, is like spitting on the legal system, which Judges usually don't shine on...you have to show that you respect it), saw that I was dressed properly (I'm used to wearing clothing like that to the office, so it doesn't look awkward on me...you can tell instantly who the white trash guys are that "dress up" on purpose), and I was very respectful and attentive to the Judge. He would explain things, and I would politely ask questions to be very clear on all the details, showing that I'm taking the whole thing very seriously.

In the end he dismissed the charge altogether, had me pay a $90 fine plus court costs, and I had to take a driving class.

NinjaMike...while court could have gone better for you, and I know how irritating it is, look at the bright side...the whole situation might have been much worse. Even with the charge being dismissed, the whole issue still cost me $400 all-inclusive, and that was CHEAP. I got off pretty much scott-free.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by Whlyphobia
I would have lost it on that sob!!!!
why? for making you pay the consequences of doing something wrong? what's he supposed to do? give you a pat on the back?

i'm sorry you didn't luck out in court..

by the way, next time: dress up! jeans are not appropriate for court. my appearance has helped me several times!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by APinBama
Greeeeat... this makes me look forward to my court date even more. 4 tix from a state trooper: reckless driving, speeding (90 in 60), following too close, and improper lane change. Shit, according to the website, I could even go to jail...
that sucks, but 90 in a 60 will do that to you! as far as going to jail, doubtful! you COULD go to jail. just like if a cop saw me throw a cigarette out my window, i COULD pay a $2000 fine. maximum penalties are extremely rare, but keep people from doing stupid things.

i got a ticket a few years ago for an illegal u-turn when i missed my exit on the toll road. i started making the turn in the emergency vehicle spot and sure enough, a cop comes driving over the crest of the road just as i started. i ended up paying for the ticket and $50 to take an online drivers education class, which actually ended up dropping my insurance enough in a year to cover the costs of the class, the ticket, and more! not to mention taking the points on my license down to 0!!! messed up DMV system, i love you so much...[:M20]

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
That's too bad. Good luck on the recourse.

--David

·
Registered
879 Posts
Originally posted by crjbeez

that sucks, but 90 in a 60 will do that to you! as far as going to jail, doubtful! you COULD go to jail. just like if a cop saw me throw a cigarette out my window, i COULD pay a $2000 fine. maximum penalties are extremely rare, but keep people from doing stupid things.
I should have clarified, but since it took forever last time, I'll just post a link if you're interested.

http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65103

And yeah, I definitely SHOULDN'T go to jail... but I suppose its still a possibility, regardless of how small..

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by crjbeez

i got a ticket a few years ago for an illegal u-turn when i missed my exit on the toll road. i started making the turn in the emergency vehicle spot and sure enough, a cop comes driving over the crest of the road just as i started. i ended up paying for the ticket and $50 to take an online drivers education class, which actually ended up dropping my insurance enough in a year to cover the costs of the class, the ticket, and more! not to mention taking the points on my license down to 0!!! messed up DMV system, i love you so much...[:M20]
I spent a weekend in jail for 107/55.. No ones fault but my own, and I'm not mad at anyone but myself for it.. however I do think the punishment was pretty stiff considering three other separate people were in there for not only DUI's, but posession of marijuana IN ADDITION to the DUI--and all three people were completely separate. How weird is that? Anyway.. all three of them walked, and it was going to be wiped from their record if they attended 1 AA meeting and paid a $250 fine. I paid a $500 fine, plus $1500 for my attorney, 90 day suspended license, points on my record, and a weekend in jail (90 days, suspended all but one weekend).. On top of that, I spend a year on probation. One more fuck up, and I serve the rest of those 90 days. That's all fine and well, but you're going to let drunk drivers walk? That's my only complaint.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
dress up, or not.

i think it depends on who you are.

i have seen some people dress up and they just look like rich assholes who can through some money at the problem, and what ever it is just an inconvience to them, and other people who dress up and look like they have integraty.

i have seen just the oppisote to. some one who goes in whering jeans and a t-shirt. and they look like a hard working blue collar person who is just out to make a days pay. and other people who just look like lazy dont give a rats ass punks.

yes i know my spelling is bad, i just dont feel like looking it up in google.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL

I spent a weekend in jail for 107/55..
i hear ya...i spent 3 days in jail because paperwork of mine slipped through the cracks at court...i was pulled over for reckless endangerment. i was doing 45 in a 40 when the road was wet (kinda sucks!) and the cop ran my ID. i was arrested for "underage drinking" at age 22. they said i never did my community service and skipped court dates for an underage drinking ticket from when i was 19. kinda retarded huh? the kicker is, i had been pulled over between those two points in time with nobody telling me anything. had i been told something was wrong with my paperwork, i would have gone straight to court and figured it out, but instead, i find out just about 3 years later as i'm handcuffed in the back of a cruiser. i have lost faith in the court system after that whole ordeal. not only did i do my community service IMMEDIATELY, i brought the paperwork directly to the judge myself!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
hey zero...read his post...he got jobbed while others had similar or lesser penalties for similar or worse crimes...that's BS.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
ninjamike, sorry bout ur outcome. that sux.

ApinBama, i'd plead not guilty to everything but speeding, blame the other shit on the guy's that were ahead of u. they don't know them and neither do u haha. good luck

i got a 122 in a 55 (raining)dropped to 64 in a 55, 2 points & $76. i'm gonna be a good little boy from now on [}:)]

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Makenna---yes I pleaded guilty that is what everyone else did as well. If you plead not guilty then you have to have another court date for the trial

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am friends with a judge and really what you want to demonstrate is respect. This is their court room and they are, for all intents and purpose, God. Respect can be different from different people, but generally I would dress nicely and be cordial. Sometimes you will get off and sometimes you will get hit. Past records play a huge part in determining that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So they delay your court date and you claim due process and it gets dropped. They have to provide an expedient trial and if they fail to do that then you get it dropped.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.