Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
please try to disregard the spelling errors, im pretty tired

Although I dont think he could have written me a ticket anyway.

Its a long one but still.

I rode the ZX6R to work tonight. We had a really bad storm role through it it just quit raining right before I got off work (at 11pm) to the roads where still wet in places so I was taking it easy.

I had to stop and pick up a bottle of dish soap on the way home so I stopped by Wal-Mart quick. I have my Helmet, gloves ect.. on. When I pulled out.. I went across the empty side of the parking lot in 1st gear at a RPM that felt reasonable but wasnt watching the speedo because I was watching for cars instead. I pull out of the parking lot and onto the road and I didnt make it 30 yards before there where cherries behind me.

I havnt been stopped on a motorcycle in at least 14 years, and had no clue what this jackass could be pulling me over for.

I completely shut down the bike put it on its kickstand, and put my hands on my hips, when he walked up to me before he could say anything I said "hows it going?" to him wich threw him off. He replied "you where going pretty fast accross that parking lot dont ya think?" Well I just sat there with a completely confused look on my face that he couldnt see in the dark with my helmet on and didnt say anything at first. He then said "do you really think that was a safe speed for a reasonable person to be doing accross a parking lot?"

OK I have a billion things going through my head at this time. I've now assessed that this cop (about my age) thinks im probably some just some punk kid tearing ass around town on a crotch rocket on a Friday night and combining that with the fact that cops never see a sport bike and dont think its hauling ass.. I have to refrain from getting into an argument somehow and turn this to my advatage.

So I say.. "No sir to be honest I want even watching my speedometer, I just left the bike in first gear and was too busy watching traffic to know how fast I was going, but if I god going faster then I should have been it wasnt my intent to do so". He then tells me that I was flying accross the parking lot and I tell him I didnt think that was the case, then he askes me to show him my drivers license so no Im standing next to my bike with him.

WHILE HE IS HOLDING MY LICENCE IN HIS OWN HANDS, he asked me if I have a motorcycle endorsement :/ Really? I said "yes sir its on the back of the card".. this cop didnt even know where to look for it lol. While he's attempting to read my ID I make a point to say that I've had said endorsement and have been riding since I was 16, and just had to stop by the store quick on the way home from work. The hole time im making a point to talk to this guy like I had to talk to officers when I was enlisted in the service.

He saw that I had a CDL, had 2 bikes on my insurance card.. and litterally all my paperwork, plate and registration was in order but went back to his car anyway.

While im standing there all I can think of is that he visually gauged my speed in the dark in poor conditions from a distance on PRIVATE PROPERTY.. so if he came back with a ticket I had already decided that I was going to take it to court.

Well he came back with a written warning and flat out admited that I was on private property but I should try to take it easy for now and and basically agreed that everything I told him made sense and that I probably just wasnt going as fast as I thought and so on.. WELL THANK GOD. As he handed my my cards back I told him.. that Ill have to keep that in mind and like I said I didtn intend to get up to an unreasonable speed then I shook his hand (man did that throw him off) and i went on my merry way. I fiqured since he realized I wasnt the person he initially profiled and decided not to be a dick after the fact that he at least deserved some respect for that.

I thought sure as hell I was going ti have to fight some BS ticket in court for something I didnt do let alone could legally be ticketed for.. Im almost shocked that I ran accross a cop with some common sense for once.. kind of nice for a change. Ill have to make sure to remember that these bikes get profiled like they do I forget sometimes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
yeah, bikes get profiled. I've only been pulled over once on my bike. speeding, definitely, very light traffic on the freeway. the CHP occifer was a dick, until I took my helmet off and he looked at my license (I'm a gal)... and I was respectful and polite like you were.

sorry that you got hassled. tis annoying at the least.

·
Registered
19 Posts
LOL yeah Sportbikes get profiled I never get pulled over on my Harley but I rarely can go out on my ZX9 without a LEO pulling me over for a paperwork check it's actually kinda lame >.>

·
Registered
425 Posts
yeah, bikes get profiled. I've only been pulled over once on my bike. speeding, definitely, very light traffic on the freeway. the CHP occifer was a dick, until I took my helmet off and he looked at my license (I'm a gal)... and I was respectful and polite like you were.

sorry that you got hassled. tis annoying at the least.
You're a chick. You'd probably get let off with a warning even if you were speeding. One of the girls that worked for me (who incidentally did some fashion modelling too) got told to "slow down, pretty eyes" by a cop!! :eek: Me, I get ticketed for going the equivalent of 6mph over the limit... :rolleyes:

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Good for you, weebel. I don't get so lucky. Well except one time I got let go for riding on the shoulder to get around stopped traffic this past winter. LOL. The cop was out of his jurisdiction, but then tried to make it sound like he was letting me go because "he didn't have time to come back to this town to go to court". Yeah right. I even told him that I see cruisers doing that shit all the time while I'm sitting in traffic in my car, and that I think nothing of it since peopel on motorcycles don't have the luxury of A/C. He didn't care either way.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Those paper work checks can easily result in criminal catches, so I don't mind much as long as I don't get a ticket for something stupid

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'm not normally anti-cop but man what a douche bag. It's not his job, place, or jurisdiction to enforce motor vehicle law/regulation on private property. If I was in the same situation, I would have thrown the written warning back at him and bluntly remind him it's private property so unless the owner has an issue with me shrug off.

FTR cops think anything above the speed most would drive around staking out a parking spot close to the doors to be excessive in a parking lot.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If I was in the same situation, I would have thrown the written warning back at him and bluntly remind him it's private property so unless the owner has an issue with me shrug off.
No you wouldn't.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I was pulled over in a homedepot parking lot once because i didint stop at a stop sign...told him its private property and i dont need to, he asked to see my drivers license ownership and insurance, i told him i dont need any of that, im on private property. Asked if he saw me on the street he said yes, i said no you dididnt, you were sipping your coffee behind that building. Starts looking at my bikes puppy killing mods... He went back to his car to read up the laws lol, while he was reading i went to do my shopping came out and there was 2 more cops...told them to go blow eachother got on my bike rode to the other end of the mall all 3 of them following me thinking mim going on the street, parked my bike infront of a security camera and went across the street to visit a friend leaving them there with their dicks in their hands. had a beer came back and rode home.satisfaction

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
No you wouldn't.
Actually I would, a written warning is put on your driving record as such and I won't get a warning or ticket for speeding on private property unless signs were posted and the owner asked the police to come on the property and enforce the limit.

You gotta put billy bad ass in his place or things will escalate out of control with massive power trips. You also gotta remember, you pay his salary and ultimately you the public are the government's boss. Would your boss let you over-step your authority and let you walk over him? Then why would you let someone in uniform do the same to you?

"Know the law, or it will know you"

·
Registered
737 Posts
Actually I would, a written warning is put on your driving record as such and I won't get a warning or ticket for speeding on private property unless signs were posted and the owner asked the police to come on the property and enforce the limit.

You gotta put billy bad ass in his place or things will escalate out of control with massive power trips. You also gotta remember, you pay his salary and ultimately you the public are the government's boss. Would your boss let you over-step your authority and let you walk over him? Then why would you let someone in uniform do the same to you?

"Know the law, or it will know you"
32 years of driving, 20+ on a bike, 14 yrs in Warren M.I. and I have never
been "PROFILED" by a LEO. 10 mph over the speed limit going to Lakeside
Mall, and got a warning to slow down. How is this you might ask?I am not an
asshole towards LEO"S, and I realize for what they do, and what they get
paid and the amount of shit they take in a day,I don't need too be a dick
towards them. Fill their shoe's for awhile, see how it goes for you!
Sounds to me like a few of you need to check your attitude at the garage
door. :mad:

·
Registered
369 Posts
32 years of driving, 20+ on a bike, 14 yrs in Warren M.I. and I have never
been "PROFILED" by a LEO. 10 mph over the speed limit going to Lakeside
Mall, and got a warning to slow down. How is this you might ask?I am not an
asshole towards LEO"S, and I realize for what they do, and what they get
paid and the amount of shit they take in a day,I don't need too be a dick
towards them. Fill their shoe's for awhile, see how it goes for you!
Sounds to me like a few of you need to check your attitude at the garage
door. :mad:
Doesn't mean they don't profile. Some do, some don't.

Don't be so naive to think that, just because it hasn't happened to you, it hasn't happened to someone else.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't think I'm naive, in fact, I'm sure it does happen. But as you say,
Sometimes you need to cross the line, so when you take a step back you know where
that line is. Maybe I'm just wise enough to cross that line and not get caught, and when
I do get caught, admit to it and move on without having to recite a Law book and shout"Profiling".

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I originally said they profile these bikes (meaning sport bikes) because frankly they do. While there are sport bikes in the town I work in, there are not a whole lot of them and only a VERY small amount of them belong to reasonable people over the age of 25.. I think theres like 3 I know of counting myself. So when a cop sees a sport bike it grabs there attention.

I usually ride my old Suzuki bobber to work but I need to do some work on it so im not riding it right now.. I never even get looked at on that thing, if I where riding that bike instead that night I wouldn't have gotton pulled over. We all know that a supersport is almost unrideable below 10 MPH wich it what the cop said I should have been doing so I had 2 points against me starting out the bat. He just assumed I was one of the many kids out on a joy ride and found out that im an adult thats been riding forever and I was just coming home from work, he profiled me as something I wasnt, then realized he was wrong and let me go.

As for giving the cops crap, I've been around enough to learn that thats rarely a good thing to do. Ill admit that the only thing going through my head was how much of an ass this guy is and I'de like to take his gun away and beat him with it for screwing with me.. but you need to learn that something like that isnt going to bring the outcome you want. Your better off to just take the acting role of what you know the cop in question would want you to be.. come off nice, well spoken, mature, and reasonable.. even if your not, its called manipulating people to your advantage... some people would think what I did is being a puss, but in reality.. I made the cop think what I wanted him to think.. so we all know who really one that debate. Its just that this time I told the complete truth because I didnt do anything wrong.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't think I'm naive, in fact, I'm sure it does happen. But as you say,
Sometimes you need to cross the line, so when you take a step back you know where
that line is. Maybe I'm just wise enough to cross that line and not get caught, and when
I do get caught, admit to it and move on without having to recite a Law book and shout"Profiling".
Touche'

I like that response^

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh BTW... a written warning doesnt go on your official driving record so it doenst effect your license or insurance. it does however go into the Police departments database for a certain amount of time so if you get pulled over again in the future they will know you where warned for it in the past... that the real reason for the written warnings.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
A little respect goes along way. If you're an asshole, you are guaranteed to get fuckered and you add to the "profile" of other sportbikers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts