Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I just went down about half hour ago on my way to work...
It had been raining alot yesterday and last night it dipped below zero and maybe there was some ice on the ground, or my bike...

But I was making a right hand turn right outside my apartment complex... I take this corner everyday... and suddenly as I'm coming out of the turn for some reason I skidded and went down...

Since it was cold I had a hoodie on, my leather and then a wind breaker. I had nylon pants on over my jeans. My nylon pants are ruined and there's a hole in my wind breaker... Bodily harm was minimized to a very very small bruise... :)

But WOW, 2 things are SO true...
(1) - its not if you go down, its when
(2) - you go down typically near your home

Anyway... my right turn signal now flashes really fast... my front one works, but my rear one doesn't. Any idea why? I hope it's just loose, otherwise if the ECU is damaged and won't pulse the rear I'd be pissed...

And thank god for frame sliders! I guess its time to get new ones... and new bar ends... my passenger right side peg also got scuffed up...

The bike is going in for the winter... no more riding this season. Screw this ice shit.

Safe riding :cool:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Glad you are ok.....and the bike too!...
for the rear blinker...dont worry...it has to be the plug that came off... or the bulb inside it might be broke...
the front one blinks fast because there is a bulb missing...thats the way of the bike to let you know that a bulb is burned... and as I recall correctly...the turn signals doesnt have anything to do with the ecu. but dont worry...its not the computer....might be the plug or the bulb.

Arles
Panama City,Panama

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Wow...that is shitty, good thing you're okay though! Newbs pay attention, once again gear and sliders save the day!

·
Registered
594 Posts
wish i had sliders when i went down...bike looks great.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. The damage doesn't look too bad - that frame slider seems to have taken a lot of the friction.

Btw - your front light might be blinking faster due to the rear bulb being out thus the circuit doesn't have the right amount of resistance and thus the front bulb is blinking faster. The circuit for the signal only sees the front light bulb.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah the ECU has nothing to do with it. It is controlled by a relay. Anyway its just the bulb I guarantee it. Glad to hear your ok and damn I am glad I bought frame sliders ha

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for the replies...

Took another inspection of the bike just now... and it seems like there's more damage.

I bought the bike used already with frame sliders, so I have no idea how to get them off. Anyone have ideas?
The frame slider is completely bent upwards.

There's a bolt inside the frame slider, but I am sure that my wrench socket will not fit into it.... how can I remove it?

Also.. my rear wheel stand peg is all bent and fucked up to... should I "bend it back down" or take it off and try to bend the actual frame???? my paint is all fucked up too :(

Your input is all much appreciated!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
black ice is a killer. Thi is the only reason why I didn't ride under sub-freezing temps. and even when it's slightly above, if it's been snowing days prior, it will remain there for a couple of days.

be carefull with it.

and get better gear.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
black ice is a killer. Thi is the only reason why I didn't ride under sub-freezing temps. and even when it's slightly above, if it's been snowing days prior, it will remain there for a couple of days.

be carefull with it.

and get better gear.
Black Ice is a real danger here in New England as we get into the start of winter. Keep in mind that rain or snow is not necessary to produce black ice. Thick fog on a chilly morning can sometimes deposit a thin layer of ice on the roadway in low-lying areas even if there is no precipitation at all. Be extremely careful if a cold front moves in coupled with high humidity or dew point. :(

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hey thanks for the replies...

Took another inspection of the bike just now... and it seems like there's more damage.

I bought the bike used already with frame sliders, so I have no idea how to get them off. Anyone have ideas?
The frame slider is completely bent upwards.

There's a bolt inside the frame slider, but I am sure that my wrench socket will not fit into it.... how can I remove it?

Also.. my rear wheel stand peg is all bent and fucked up to... should I "bend it back down" or take it off and try to bend the actual frame???? my paint is all fucked up too :(

Your input is all much appreciated!!!! :)
The slider bolt will come right out. Don't try to bent either of them back. They'll prob snap off. The one on the engine might actually spin out with out a wrench now that there isn't a torque load on it. Take the swing arm one to a shop and have them fix it. Most welding shops can make it look new again or atleast pretty close. Make it functional again so you can put the spools back in asap. Atleast mine only broke off and didn't dent the swing arm.

If you're really anal about it you'll need to get a whole new swing arm. Glad you're ok. Bikes can be fixed or at worse replaced. Body parts can't. My bike is going away at the end of the month and I live on Vancouver Island lol.

Habs

·
Registered
162 Posts
wow so now I'm really thinking about not riding this fall/winter in the morning if there is ever a frost during the night or when it's near freezing temps. Need to move south.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Glad you are ok, and yeah, ice sucks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow so now I'm really thinking about not riding this fall/winter in the morning if there is ever a frost during the night or when it's near freezing temps. Need to move south.
yeah man... it rained like 20mm the previous day and at night it dropped below zero... tire traction was probably shit too as I literally rode maybe 200metres before i went down...

welp, frame sliders are off now... and i tried jacking my bike up with my rear bike stand and it doesn't look safe at all!!!
its like bent upward... time to go to a welding shop to get that fixed...

went to the nurse at work today... later in the afternoon i felt like i sprained something in my left leg (from my calf all the way up to my inner thigh)...

she said it might hurt more as the days go on.. and sure enough i am in PAIN now.... walking up stairs or just bending my left leg HURTS...
it's weird, it didn't hurt at all this morning after going down...

crazyness.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
yeah man... it rained like 20mm the previous day and at night it dropped below zero... tire traction was probably shit too as I literally rode maybe 200metres before i went down...

welp, frame sliders are off now... and i tried jacking my bike up with my rear bike stand and it doesn't look safe at all!!!
its like bent upward... time to go to a welding shop to get that fixed...

went to the nurse at work today... later in the afternoon i felt like i sprained something in my left leg (from my calf all the way up to my inner thigh)...

she said it might hurt more as the days go on.. and sure enough i am in PAIN now.... walking up stairs or just bending my left leg HURTS...
it's weird, it didn't hurt at all this morning after going down...

crazyness.
Hardly ever hurts in the heat of the moment. My drop was at slow speed but I landed on my elbow and dislocated my right shoulder pushing my collar bone up out of the way for my upper arm to get out of the socket. Didn't hurt at all at the time. I even lifted the bike up by myself. But over the next few hours/days it hurt like hell I tell ya.

Habs

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey all... in the process of finding a welding shop now.
is the 05 ZX6 swingarm Aluminum ?

I heard I have to find a special welder that does aluminum?

thx

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i can't tell you for a fact that it's aluminum, but i'm inclined to say yes. aluminum DOES need a special weld, so don't just take it anywhere and have joe tig welder try and go at it.

the signal blinks fast as a result of you breaking the bulb in the other signal. there is no load metering device, so the operable signal is taking all of the load and forcing the quick flash. no concern, just replace the bulb or signal.

glad to hear you're ok! be careful out there.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
TIG. Tungsten Inert Gas welding will give the best result. It won't be cheap but it should still be cheaper than a new swing arm. It's is mostly aluminum if not it would not have bent the way it did. A good welder will tell you if it can be fixed before he takes your money or wastes your time. Swapping a swing arm out isn't complicated if you have to do that.

The flasher unit on these bikes are thermal relays and require a certain amperage or load to cycle on then off. Incandecent bulbs have an element which creates a resistance or load on the circuit. When a bulb is burnt the load is less than it's calibrated for this will cause the relay/flasher unit to cycle faster. That's the reason LEDs cause an increased flash rate. Less wattage/resistance on the circuit. Check the bulb as was said before.

Habs

Reactions: kwilkins
1 - 20 of 21 Posts