Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went riding last weekend with my buddy and a couple guys who I didnt know so well...

Turns out they both like to do some wheelies and stuff, and one of the guys is an amateur stunt rider... Did some cool tricks in a parking lot and some wheelies on the street... I had a great ride through most of Southern CT...

BUT... when they suggested to go home on the Parkway I figured we would just stay together... NOT...

They all had 600's except my friend Vin who has a 750 Gsxr...

they were weaving in and out of traffic like no cars were in there way...

Maybe its my lack of experience... but i just couldnt keep up... I think mostly because i was scared shitless...

So anyhow... I know most ppl here respect responsible riding and I think that if I am going to ride with them again... I will stay off the highways and stick to the backroads where they cant go super fast.

·
Registered
364 Posts
see here in florida....the back roads mean super fast we stay away from the highways because cops patrol them more then the podunk roads we fly around

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I had a similar experience as you. I was at a gas station one time putting gas and about 4 bikes rolled up. One of the guys asked me if I was going to bike night because that was the meet up spot. I was like WTF, I'm just putting gas. I didn't know it was a meet up spot. They told me I was welcome to ride with them. So I did, and they asked me how I ride on the highway and I said that I cruise. One of them told me they would cruise with me.

Not only was it crazy on the street with them, but once we got on the freeway, cruising for them was going 100+ on the freeway. I didn't want to keep up with them so I let them go and went back home.:violent:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
It hasn't been said explicitly so allow me to say....RIDE YOUR OWN PACE. If you are uncomfortable with what the other riders around you are doing, slow the hell down. Or go find another group of folks to ride with. If they're really your friends they'll understand.

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
Yea same here, theres some groups i ride with where we'll do 140 for 10 minutes on a parkway lol.

Some groups stay together...

be careful out there

·
Registered
734 Posts
they were weaving in and out of traffic like no cars were in there way...
At first sign of this behaviour, I would have made an excuse to get the hell outta there, or just fallen back and taken the next exit. People who do stupid shit like that not only put you at risk themselves, but they encourage you to make bad decisions like weaving. Just a death waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
At first sign of this behaviour, I would have made an excuse to get the hell outta there, or just fallen back and taken the next exit. People who do stupid shit like that not only put you at risk themselves, but they encourage you to make bad decisions like weaving. Just a death waiting to happen.
:plusone: I can see weaving a little bit every now and then as long as you're being safe. The longer you ride, the most people you know that have passed. Don't make stupid mistakes, sometimes it's too late to learn from them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
see....i dont do that kind of stuff for a couple reasons....my main reason iiiissss.....if the cops start chasin us.....they gonna catch my ass first...bcuz my 250 aint goin past 105 on the speedo :(

hahahaha....so i guess that i "cruise" too :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
...if the cops start chasin us.....they gonna catch my ass first...bcuz my 250 aint goin past 105 on the speedo :(
Hence the saying "You don't have to outrun the cops, just the slowest rider." lol

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hence the saying "You don't have to outrun the cops, just the slowest rider." lol
youve never been speeding in a pack when cops come up form behind? usually you pull over and they continue on to the leader. thats how ive seen it. they want the asshole that runs. i think they respect you for respecting their authority.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did feel a bit uncomfortable riding... I dont mind weaving a bit... but I just felt really uncomfortable splitting cars... Plus I felt like an asshole.... I dunno.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I did feel a bit uncomfortable riding... I dont mind weaving a bit... but I just felt really uncomfortable splitting cars... Plus I felt like an asshole.... I dunno.
it sounds kinda silly, but you get to trust your feelings when you've been riding for a while.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Did someone close to you die recently?? What the fuck is with you and "imminent death"!?!?

--David

·
Registered
734 Posts
Did someone close to you die recently?? What the fuck is with you and "imminent death"!?!?

--David
Well my mother died almost a year ago if you really have to know. So I guess I just think of it in terms of death a lot because i know I couldn't put my family through that again. Didn't realise I was being so morbid. Sorry :)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats kinda the way I feel, but back on to the ride...

I love the feeling of riding in a pack but i don't think that I am completely ready to push it to 100+ in heavy traffic. All i am thinking about is someone doing an unsignaled lane change and then im toast.

I'll probably get my last weekend of riding in this week and then she goes away for the winter...

Anyone suggestions for a first time owner on long term storage and prep?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I aggree a lot with what every one is saying, you just need to be confident with your self and your ride-If your not, hang back till you grow a pair. the only way to learn is through realtime experiance....you just need to know your limits.

for the vid-wait till the second song-thats the freeway
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2008-ZX6r-Italian-freway_185898.htm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts