Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I got my bike back from the guy who painted it. Overall the paint job looked decent except a few runs in the clear coat and orange peel. He told me to bring the bike to him once I put the pieces back on so he could wet sand the runs out. I decided to try and do it myself. I bought some 200 grit clear coat sand paper and wet sanded the undertail and got the runs out but once it's dry it looks really dull, did I fuck up?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I hope you mean 2000grit? Usually wetsanding is to make the surface smooth again for another coat. You probably just sanded off the clearcoat so another light coat is needed to bring the shine back.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
yep, hope you ment wet sand 2000, not 200. Once your done sanding you need to use rubbing compound, usually 2 coats of that and a wax will mirror the finish.

·
Registered
247 Posts
after you wet sand something you have to buff it!!!!! but be care full not to burn threw, your better off haveing the painter do it!!!!!!! He knows how much material he sprayed on! Then if he fucks it up, o well he can paint it again but you fuck it up and your PAYING him to paint it again!!!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Originally posted by 2k6r520
yep, hope you ment wet sand 2000, not 200. Once your done sanding you need to use rubbing compound, usually 2 coats of that and a wax will mirror the finish.
[:Agree] You have to use a rubbing compound to bring the shine back. After the rubbing, buff it with glazing compound to get the real shine. Good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
if you have enough clear coat on it you can do it. but i think it will be tough to buff out the fairings and sharp corners. you may wind up burning the paint. agree with the 2000 grit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.