Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I commute about 120k's a day round trip
And so when it is raining I am sure u can imagine just how uncomfortable I would get.

Just wondering if anyone can tell Me where I could find a good set of wet weather gear.

Thanx guys..

· Registered
425 Posts
A 1pc nylon oversuit to go over your leathers is the go. A 2pc is OK but sometimes the water runs up the back of the pants for some reason and makes your back wet. With the 1pc, get one with a diagonal zip that goes down far enough so you can get out of it quickly in case you find yourself busting for a pee

· Registered
5,288 Posts
My everyday jacket is a textile (with armour) Hein Gerrick touring jacket with a proprietory Shell-tex membrane and it hasn't let water through yet, so no need for an extra jacket. It has a detachable storm collar for really heavy rain, but I haven't needed to use it even at motorway speeds.

Rain pants are Gore-tex outdoor activity pants with full length zips up each side so that you can pull them on and off over your boots or zip them down from the top for that urgent pee. They work. Everyday boots are Oxtar (now rebranded as XTC) with Gore-Tex membrane and are fully waterproof even riding through an axle deep flooded underpass.

Gloves are a textile/leather mix. As long as you remember to tuck them inside the jacket sleeve so that water can't run down and fill them from the cuff nothing special is needed, so the ony rain gear I actually have is the pants. Pinlock visor is a must, but I still can't 100% stop my glasses misting a bit at slow speeds.

Textile gear is easily reproofed with a spray from any outdoor activities shop. I've never had water running up inside the back of my jacket.

I find leather inconvenient for commuting, and not easy to dry properly. The textile gear dries out fine hung on a chair back in the office. Gear needs to be breathable - Gore-tex or something similar - or it gets wet from the inside.

Rob

· Registered
329 Posts
Scorpion strike jacket... got mine for $70 clearance on newenough. It's not really a waterproof jacket, but it has a water resistant liner that managed to not let water through on any of my rainy day excursions, and the other cold weather liner helps with the wind chill. It's a decent jacket, but I'm not happy with the quality of the zippers and I imagine it won't hold up as well compared to a pricier textile jacket.

Tourmaster cortech overpants... $60 at a brick-n-mortar (Bert's in SoCal.) I love the waterproofness of these pants and how they keep my khakis dry. I like the snug fit and the warmth of the material, but it's not breathable in warm weather and the pockets have no fasteners.

TCX boots... $99 ebay special. Meh. They're no Sidi's, but they do the job.

The stuff I have above is not explicitly advertised as waterproof, but they have kept me reasonably dry in the wet.

· Get off of my lawn Dammit
46,943 Posts

· That Fighter Guy
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 street fighter
15,167 Posts
Any recommendations on boot covers or gloves? My Motogear gloves say "waterproof" but they got soaked the other day. I guess they just need to be sprayed down with that waterproofing spray (I can't remember what it's called, but it's available in grocery stores and whatnot).

Do boot covers get worn out by the shifter? MotorcycleGear has both rubber boot covers and the nylon ones too. I just wonder which are better; they're the same price pretty much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.