Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I use a LHphillips front stand to lift the bike up. I procede to take off the wheel and all. Take a guess at which rotor is the bad one and replace it,everything go great (yay!). Anyways I go to put the wheel back on with new left rotor. The wheeljostled the bike a bit and I had to jump up and catch the bike. Right there I almost shit my pants[:0]. Well I readjust the stand to make the bike straight and in the process got one of the forks lower/higher then the other so it almost made it impossible to put the wheel on, so I try to fix that, eventually get wheel on and brakes put back on, but go to turnwheel and now the pads on the rotor I replaced are rubbing up against it. I had thepistons pushed down when I put the caliper on and it slid right on but after I braked it wont loosen up I guess is what you'd call it. So now I think I either changed thewrong rotor or installed something wrong[V]. Either way I do no want to use that crapo stand again, its no fun. Any tips?
thanks[|)]

1995 red and purple ninja zx6r
1997 camaro v6 3.8
1987 honda nq50! oh ya!

·
Registered
315 Posts
they should always look like theyre touching the rotor. if it makes a loud scraping sound just check and see if one of the pads on that side is toast. did you make sure it was the right rotr? if it was too thick maybe this would happen, but it should compensate itself automatically. i just changed my right side rotor two weeks ago on my 02. it was a bitch getting those alan bolts off. next time you want to pop the front wheel try taking two of those yellow tie-downs with the ratcheting action and loop them around both sides of the clipons. then loop the other ends around an overhead joist if your in the garage. works like a charm and you dont have to worry about it falling to one side.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the identical bike and thought my left rotor was bad because it was scored, just before I bought a new one I happened to notice the pads wouldn't release all the way because the caliper was misaligned when it was assembled...it's worth a look.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where do I get a pit bull stand and what is the diff? I had to change the rotor b/c one of them was warped and the bike would shake while braking over 30 mph, I took the rotor I changed to the shop and the guy said it was warped so I think I'm cool. He lent me the back stand also I have I have it up on boht the stands he lent me, I have to change the back rotor tonight, only thing is what grease do you guys use to grease the axel? I totally forgot it so I have to get grease and grease the front and back tonight, thanks!

1997 camaro v6 3.8
1987 honda nq50! oh ya!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Pitbull makes a sturdier stand. You can get one at Pit-bull.com.

No matter your choice of stand, always lift the bike at the rear before the front, and drop the bike at the front before the rear.

What makes you think only one rotor is warped?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good deal, just by chance I had the back lifted before the front, whew. Well the guy I bought it off said itwas, and when I replaced it I took it to the shop and theguy at the shop said it was too. Its a little thin also

1997 camaro v6 3.8
1987 honda nq50! oh ya!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.