Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I googled what clip on's are

What’s the difference between handlebars and clip-ons? Clip-ons are individual bar-lets which usually attach to the upper fork tubes, one on each side. Some sport/touring bikes have risers attached to the “clip-ons” which raise them well above the top triple clamp. Regular bars are cheaper, usually heavier, and easier to customize. Race-grade clip-ons usually have easily and cheaply replaceable tube sections, providing you haven’t damaged the actual clamp section, but not a whole lot of street bikes with “clip-ons” stock have cheap replacement tubes. Generally, you will find clip-ons on more sporty bikes with more aggressive riding positions.Call me retarded, but I'm still a little confused.

So... they attach onto the front forks... and you hold the handle bar instead of the handle bar?
What about throttle control?

Please enlighten me.
Thanks!

:violent:

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's an either-or thing. The bike either has clip-ons or the bike has handlebars.

Here is an image of handlebars. They are clamped in a riser that is mounted directly to the triple tree. See the four bolts on top of the riser? (Silver dog-bone looking plate in the center of the handlebars.) Those are used to tighten the clamp.

Here are clip-ons. They are independent of each other and are clamped direclty to the forks.

One thing that might be confusing is there are risers for clip-ons. These are designed to give a more handlebar feel to clip-ons.

(Sorry, these were the best images I could find in the time I had.)

Hope that helps to clear up some of the confusion.

Reactions: IlBLisSlI

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can anyone dig up a pic of those vortex aftermarket clip on's installed on a bike?

please and thanks.

much appreciated

·
Registered
228 Posts
Another question pertaining to the thread.......What would be the purpose of buying clip-ons for your daily ride or your track bike?

*I also always wondered what clip-ons actually were.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Clip ons give the ability to (in most cases) lower your hands and give similar logic to putting rear sets on a bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
can anyone dig up a pic of those vortex aftermarket clip on's installed on a bike?

please and thanks.

much appreciated
Here's the best picture I could find (sorry, I know it's a squidzuki but at least it's only a Bandit):

Of course, there are other styles so this may not be the one you wanted.

CollinJoseph said:
I love clip-ons!
I wear 'em all the time...
Very funny, clip on tie! At least you didn't change it to "strap-on". :rolleyes: :D

Zx636Ninja said:
Another question pertaining to the thread.......What would be the purpose of buying clip-ons for your daily ride or your track bike?
Clip-on's are designed to lower your body position and you also get a more direct feel for the steering. Another advantage is you can easily position them to your liking. With handlebars you have to bend the bar or buy another bar to change the angle between the handles.
Because of the way they are designed, some bikes will not accept clip-ons and some won't accept handlebars.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

*I also always wondered what clip-ons actually were.
A couple answers have been given for this already, but the biggest one for me is the ease of replacement. I've used Woodcraft clipons in the past, although Vortex is also popular.

I can't speak for any make other than Kawasaki, but on the new models, parts microfiche lists the clamp and tube as one part number. MRcycles has each side listed at $118.

For comparison, a replacement Woodcraft tube is $15.

·
Registered
927 Posts
yeah change ur height position of ur hands and are easiser to replace in the event of a crash. some brands are better then others. Woodcraft or LSL are good brands. Vortex are shit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts