Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before I jump right into buying one without knowing any background on this topic. I was hoping you people could enlighten me on what are known problems of

03-04 ZX6R and ZX6RR's

and

05-06 ZX6R and ZX6RR's

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
In 2003 the exhaust had a recall. Also, the rider is in an aggressive posture, which tires out the wrists and back. Other than that, I've had no problems so far (knock on would)...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Originally posted by Styles
All Kawi's tick, On the '05 and '06 some people are having tranny issues.
............I have an '06 and do not like trannys either. but sometimes they look just like girls ! !

·
Registered
486 Posts
05 and 06 trannies are crap....many have had problems, nobody (to my knowledge) has gotten it covered under the warranty. Riding position is a little more relaxed.

03/04...yeah, exhuast....not much other than that. They were pretty damn fine bikes. Only thing that bothers me is the seat/tank relationship....it's hell on the nads when you're going downhill ;) Other than that the 03/04 are great bikes. Don't hesitate to own one...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by iluvmysh
So before I jump right into buying one without knowing any background on this topic. I was hoping you people could enlighten me on what are known problems of

03-04 ZX6R and ZX6RR's

and

05-06 ZX6R and ZX6RR's

any help is appreciated.
Get a Honda dude. Kawi won't fix tranny issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just got my 636 this season and am curious could anybody know exactly what is the problem with these tranmissions so i can watch out for it. thanks a lot.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by kawinyc
i just got my 636 this season and am curious could anybody know exactly what is the problem with these tranmissions so i can watch out for it. thanks a lot.
The gears fail. Quite randomly. Many of the problem trannies have been those with synthetic oil used in them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had my bike since may 2005 put amsoil synthetic oil at 1500 ml got 9,500 ml now and not a single problem on my bike..it runs better now. probibly ppl dont know how to shift properly but who knows..just blip the throtle when down shifting i think it helps..

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have an 04 and it's trannie clunks disgustingly. It always has. It bothers me so much I listen to my iPod so I dont have to hear it. Other than that they are a fantastic bike. The seating postion has never bothered me although you need to learn to use your knees to hold yourself up when you first start riding them otherwise you'll have mighty sore wrists.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Nothing wrong at all with the 03/04's just not the new kid any longer...handling can be a little spirited to say the least..but for the price of a nice used one...$4500 Cash you can get one with some mods and do some suspension fine tuning..and be set.

The 05/06 as what was mentioned some people are having tranny issues...not so sure why as i have never had a hiccup, using Mobil 1 15/50 since new..But the big is bigger size wise,more comfortable and just a little bit faster (mainly top end)
I love the looks and feel so i am kind partial to this years...

If you go any other brand get the CBR600RR defineately a top notch ride and quality is unsurpassed...handle rock solid as well

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whew, that's reassuring to hear that the 03/04 are such solid bikes. I'd be changing the exhaust out anyways to probably a slipon, unless the problem lies within the header or midpipe. Any other input? Sounds like the general census is that the 03/04 is the way to go.

·
Registered
916 Posts
everyone that I know that has a 03-04 is pretty much satisfied with what they got. Personally I think the 04 RR is probably the bike to beat. 05-06 are solid, don't know of anyone with the tranny issue as talked about in this thread. But I have seen a lot of 04's out here spank the new ones. At least thats how it goes out here in Japan. Plus my japanese buddy said the 03-04 is lighter and in that case can match the 05+, even with mods. Just what I've heard.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Originally posted by iluvmysh
Whew, that's reassuring to hear that the 03/04 are such solid bikes. I'd be changing the exhaust out anyways to probably a slipon, unless the problem lies within the header or midpipe. Any other input? Sounds like the general census is that the 03/04 is the way to go.
A slip on will do the trick. The problem (at least with mine) was that the rubber padding in between the the hanger and the exhaust kept coming out. I got a Muzzy and the hanger is welded to the pipe, so problem solved. As for the nut busting on down hills, bumps and excessive braking, I strongly agree. I'm going to get some Stomp Grip soon, so hopefully that will take care of it. And yes, the transmission clunks. These bikes aren't as smooth as other bikes, but they're just as mean. If I were to by a new bike, it would definately be either the CBR 600RR or the 1000RR. Those bikes are friggin sweet. I've heard they're the best handling bikes on the market. If you can't corner on one of those, then get a cruiser.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I only have two problems with my 05.
1) The wife hates it because I always want to ride it.
2) the wife hates it because I spend all my money on it and not her.
Shawn:D

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
There is a major problem with all sportbikes....if you ride like an idiot, they will bite your head off.

--David

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.