Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have street bike experience but have never owned one. I want a sport bike and I have always been a fan of the Kawasakis. I don't know which bike to get though. Iv ridden the 250 ninja and liked it but I want a bigger bike. I want something I can gain more experience on while still having a well performing bike. I also want something that I can eventually modify and personalize. So what bike should I get? thanks for the help.

· Registered
194 Posts
250, 500, SV650

In that order from best idea to not so great idea

· Registered
729 Posts
I started out on a 1979 Yamaha XS 1100 in 1986. I dropped it alot, went down at 60 mph once, and will always have problems with my body because of
being stupid when I started.Kept it for 1 1/2 years and went smaller, a 1975
Suzuki GT 550. Should have kept that bike! As years went by I progressed to
larger bikes. Had I had done things differently, my learning curve would have been much less painful, and much more fun!! Start out small and work up.
You will enjoy the biking experience more, learn more, and be more
confident as you get larger bikes. Just my thoughts.

· Registered
5,076 Posts
250 or the new Ninja 400.

250, 500, SV650

In that order from best idea to not so great idea
GTFO with that suzuki sv650 bullshit :p Kawi makes a 650 too, and it looks WAY better.

· Registered
2,378 Posts
I hate these threads because the op usually gets what they wanted before asking us. I will say that you can get what you described out of a 250 easily

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

Reactions: bubbleboys

· Registered
5,288 Posts
Your post implies that your experience is very limited, so buy used 250 and clock up 10K or so miles on it. Apart from learning to ride, you'll then have a better idea of what to buy for your next bike.

Rob

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
Ninja250, what everyone else said

I hate these threads because the op usually gets what they wanted before asking us. I will say that you can get what you described out of a 250 easily

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App
That is usually par for the course.

well I was dead set against the 250 but that seems to be the smartest idea. do they come in white? lol theres not much that looks better than a white Kawasaki, no matter the model of the bike lol
I'm not sure if the 250 comes in white but you can always repaint the fairings though I'd hold off on any cosmetic mods until you're more experienced. You're pretty much guaranteed to drop your bike at least once when you start riding for real.

Also, having some experience on other people's street bikes means nothing.

· Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,532 Posts
The '10s or '11s had a white version, but the OP should buy a used one as his first street bike.

· Registered
94 Posts
Ninja250, what everyone else said

That is usually par for the course.

I'm not sure if the 250 comes in white but you can always repaint the fairings though I'd hold off on any cosmetic mods until you're more experienced. You're pretty much guaranteed to drop your bike at least once when you start riding for real.

Also, having some experience on other people's street bikes means nothing.
This. I dropped mine on the first day. Nothing serious, shook it off and rode 400 miles back home on my first trip. These bikes are very forgiving and even after I put 13k on the odometer, I still didn't feel like I pushed the bike to it's limit in the corners. Hope this helps.

· That Fighter Guy
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 street fighter
15,167 Posts
How much "experience" are we talking about? Most people here will preach to get a 250 as your first bike, as I'm sure you've already noticed. I started on my '06 ZZR600 almost 6 years ago, and if I were to do it again, I would still get a 600. It's not necessarily a bad idea to start on a 600, but the problem is not respecting the machine and overstepping your capabilities too early. The only issues I had during the learning process (which I suppose is an ongoing process really) is that I got overzealous a few times and dumped my bike. Nothing major, just a low side into the mud and one bad crash a year and a half ago (squiddin' on back roads). Other than that learning on a 600 worked out fine for me. As with a 250 though, a lot of guys don't keep them for long term and go crazy with mods, BUT on the other hand you see modded up 600's and liter bikes all over the freakin' place. If you're gonna start on a 600, I highly suggest getting an inexpensive used one; that way if you dump it, it's no big deal, then when you get good and used to the bike, you can go get a brand spankin' new one. Good luck with your choice.

One more note: the 250 is carbureted, whereas the ZX6R from 2003 to present are fuel injected. My ZZR is carb'd as well, but I didn't realize the beauty of F.I. until I bought my Suzuki a few years ago. Ah it was so great. You turn the key "on", hit the starter, and it just works. With carbs sometimes you gotta fuck with the choke and deal with the bike running great in some weather, but like ass in other. It's really a pain in the ass. A lot of guys still prefer carbs, but the vast majority go for F.I. I personally will never again buy a carbureted machine unless it's a lawn mower.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.