Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was out riding with my buddy on his 03 GSXR 600. we switched up and his bike doesnt even feel close to as powerful at mine. just lighter and it handles better. So, now i wanna work towards getting it lighter. do they make carbon fiber gas tanks or anything like that for them??? what do all you guys do??

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Muzzy full exhaust, pull out the emessions crap (might as well do the float bowl mod while you're at it), and if cost isnt a factor, the best thing you can do is reduce unsprung weight like the wheels, switch em out for lighter after market wheels. And if you don't take passengers, go get a single tail and remove the stock back end.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Get your hands on a RR aluminum subframe (or make one), get titanium/aluminum bolts, make custom aluminum fairing braces, radiator mounts, 520 conversion w/aluminum sprockets, full exhaust, race body kit, magnesium front rotors, carbon fibre rear rotor, gsxr brake conversion, magnesium wheels, aftermarket slim line mirrors, race windscreen, lightwieght fibreglass undertail, titanium axles/spacers, there is a ton of other things you can do but it all depends on how handy you are or how much cash your willing to spend.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
which RR subframe. does it bolt right up and can i use my old undertail? ive pulled all the emissions stuff. so far i have muzzy block plates, exahust, 520 convertion (2 down on the front), jet kit, windscreen, and a timing advancer.
what the float bowl trick??? does the race body kit have lights?? lastly whats the GSXR brake converion?? i need some more details on this stuff and where i can find it.
thanks Bill

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
do a search here for "float bowl" I'm sure theres a ton of threads about it. Its using the old emmisions crap to route the airbox into the floatbowls to provide positive pressure behind the venturi. Uses more gas but gains around 5hp. Takes about an hour and $2 in hadware store vacuum plugs and the tubes from your emissions crap

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well the RR subframe will bolt up to your frame fine but I just realized that it won't have the mounts for the undertail, you would have to weld on some tabs. To be honest it will be very hard to find the RR subframe unless you knew somebody who raced the 7RR. It would be cheaper if you knew a fabricator/welder to help you make one. The race body kit won't have lights which means you'll have to fabricate a new bracket and find some lighter weight lights to work (in my case I used small lightweight hella projectors, and made an aluminum bracket). The signals you can just find the smallest compact ones to put anywhere you want (thats the beauty of having race fairings... you can customize your bike to whatever you want). The gsxr brake conversion may not apply to you... I think they used similar ones from 01-03 on the 7r as they did on the gsxr 1000's. From 93 - 00 ? they would only shave about 360 gms per caliper... so it's not really a cost effective weight savings, but if your looking for every little spot to shave... its just another option. The most bang for you buck is going to be in the wheels, rotors, chain, sprockets... cause thats where all your rotating mass is... but its pretty expensive! The race body will also shave quite a bit if you buy the whole kit (upper/lower fairings, solo tail, front fender, gas tank fibreglass/aluminum) the weight savings is dramatic and very noticable. My bike is getting on the excessive end of things, but I love the bike so I don't mind spending the time and a bit of cash to do it. Seeing the look on some people's face when a 93 zx7r pulls away from them is priceless!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here's one link to look at... it also has a bunch of links of other guys so you can get a good idea of what people are doing. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/index.html

Other than that, just keep searching a peicing together info...

I'm trying to find the guys that have swapped to the gsxr 1000 front ends, but not too many have done it, and there's very little info on it...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I donno, it just seems like there's more used gixxer front ends to find than the 10r's... Must be the whole gsxr squid thing... [:p]

·
Registered
111 Posts
unfortunately the 7 is heavy....when you start adding up all the stuff to make it lighter it just doesnt make sense from a financial standpoint. Case in point I paid 3000 for my 97 with a muzzy full exhaust(about two years ago)...then I added up all kinds of lightweight things I could think of and you could easily spend 3-4000...it might drop anywhere from 20-30lbs now this bike has a dry weight of 480lbs. Drop lets say 30lbs and its at 450lbs dry with some mods you might make 120hp. Now a year old 600 weighs about 360dry and has about 110-120hp. You can easily find these in the 6-7000 range now do the math. Nothing against the 7,the front end is the best ive ever ridden my corner speed on the track scares most 600 riders but how they pull me back in on the straights is silly...holy shit this a long post...anyhow the 7 rocks!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.