Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried 2 different aftermarket slip on pipes on my bike and they both make the bike back fire if I accelerate hard and then don't change gears. Sometimes It does it on the highways too. I was just wondering why aftermarket slipons would do this and the stocker would not. And I assume theres less backpressure with a slip on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do you have a power commander? If so do you have the right map? I have a 03 636 and I shoot out blue cone fireballs.. unburnt fuel. Dyno jet told me a way to minimize this problem by altering the map.... I don't think that it is life threatening to the bike or they would have told me when I called. It is just kind of annoying.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good looking out drumannewman. Dynojet didn't mention those to me. Eliminating the smog crap is definitly a plus. I wonder if that voids any warrantys?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I dont have a power commander, and I didn't want to get one mainly because I just have a slip on and not a full, my powercurve is nearly perfect, and I have heard from many people that the PC doesn't help them with backfiring .
I did see Dan Kyles post about those blockoff kits but I thought there was too much else involved and didn't know what to plug all the holes with. I think dan should include those also in his kit but he doesn't.

2 more questions though:
#1 Anyone do that Dan Kyle block off kit? And If so did it stop that horrible tapping noise?
#2 Would there be any gain or lose of HP from blocking off that cleanair system?
Wait, I think that was 3 questions....well, whatever

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Another cause of back firing is a leak at the connection. If no air gets into the exhaust even though there are unburnt gases nothing will happen.

·
Registered
493 Posts
removing the Kleen-air system will not increase or reduce horsepower... it will just remove the ability for air to enter the exhaust causing backfires as swjohnsey described

·
Registered
976 Posts
As we all know an aftermarket exhaust(even a slip-on) is louder than the OEM unit therefore a louder 'pop' and since you can hardly hear the OEM exhaust note that doesn't mean there isn't a very slight backfire all the time, (frankly there is).

BD

·
Registered
53 Posts
For some reason i love it when i back fire on my 636 with Micron pipe slip on... I dont find anything wrong with it. It mostly happens when i do first gear wheelies then let off or shift to secind gear. My Friends with Subarus Back Fire all the time with huge ass flames and my Turbo GSR back fires huge when i two step it...

·
Registered
206 Posts
It seems alot of here having issues with this! If you're rolling along and then chop the throttle to decelerate, the blue flame crackle backfiring is a lean condition, not rich. A rich backfire is more yellow- and looks like the fire on a gas grill.

One of the problems that makes newer Kawasakis worse in this respect to other bikes is the computer completely shuts the fuel off on closed throttle. Kawi does this on the 636/6RR/12R for emissions rasons and this is probably the cause most of the backfiring. Another indication of this is when you get back on the gas from a closed throttle, the bike will not smoothly pick up accelerating again. If you're riding at constant throttle and back out a hair (not near closed throttle), this is a lean backfire caused by a lean area in the middle of the map somewhere.

If you don't have a PCIII, you're not going to be able to fix the problem. If so, please spend the $$, buy a PCIII and have a custom map made, unless you really like running around on a poor running bike that makes a ton of noise when it shoots flames out. If you have a PCIII and your bike was tuned by someone who understands how to tune in good smooth throttle transitions, you shouldn't have the problem. If you're getting backfiring after it's tuned, find another tuner! OK, give the tuner a chance...most decent tuners ones work with you, and shouldn't charge a thing if you're not happy with the results. Go talk with him and ask if he could tune yours for smoother throttle transitions and eliminate the backfires. One of the tricks to fix this is to dump a bunch of fuel on closed throttle (2% and 5% for the 636/6RR) from 5K rpms on up. If the tuner doesn't start talking about something like this, or if he avoids the subject or gets defensive, walk away and find another tuner who understands.

Adding fuel like this may sound crazy gut this doesn't hurt acceleration at all. It will decrease fuel economy a bit. If you can access the PCIII map on you're bike with a computer and want to try something to fix this yourself, put a post here and I'll explain. If you have an Arata map from Dan Kyle, send me an email to [email protected] and I'll email back his map with changes to the closed throttle area for you to try out.

Laters!

·
Registered
51 Posts
When you were talking about the bike shutting off are you talking about completely shutting off like the off switch? That is the problem I am having now. I have a power commander and a akra slip on. This problem is worrying me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No, after a sec or so of closed throttle the computer shuts signal to send fuel off, not the ignition.

·
Registered
107 Posts
you wanna have areal back fire to scare the shit out of pedestreans!!!

any gear rpm about half way up, turn the starter off , give a twist of gaz and fire it back up, if youre lucky you'll get a flame of about two feet and sound like a bomb.

gotta have some fun

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've heard its coz the bike is running to rich hence what a power commander could correct (not like its a problem) ... but if u're having the same problem w/ a stock pipe, you may be running a bit 'rich'. I would lay off the eggs and baked beans for breakfast i.e. ass fuel :D

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
it burning the extra fuel you did't burn[:p] . my 03 does that to it looks cool[8D]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.