Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Half of my family have been around bikes n rode them selfs, but the other half always seem to like to remind me ima die on my bike.. I know the dangers and i know im more likely to get killed on 2 than being in a car..

It doesnt stop me from riding but i hate that its almost easier to hide it than to deal with all their concerns.. Ive attempted to reassure them ill be ok but they know as much as i do its a risk.. Im hoping the longer i ride the more accepting they will be about it and lay off a lil but its been a year now and its gotten worst.. How do u deal with family that are over worried or nag u about it?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank u Glocken.. I tried searching but i only get on thru my phone n i am not very good at finding things online!! Haha

When it all comes down to it i will never stop riding for someone else.. If i choose to go track only or even stop all together it will be my choice! I was just curious as to what everyone else has dealt with and how they went thru it.. Pretty much looking for exactly whats in the forum he posted in the reply.. I can tell pretty much everyone to lay off except Grandma! I dont care how old i am, cant DISRESPECT her. Now i can however continue to ride without her full support.. But at the same time i was just interested in what others have done to ease the stress of family.. Like i said it will be my choice and only mine to stop riding.. But if there was any way i could help my family feel better about it its worth a shot..

·
Registered
529 Posts
the longer you ride the less people feel the need to tell you about dieing. I had that problem when i first started as well, now no one mentions it, if they talk about riding they ask me how im liking it and normal questions. One thing that will never end, is be prepared to have to hear about every story every one of your family and friends hear about someone being in a motorcycle accident. "So and sos brother just got into a motorcycle accident" or "did you see on the news about that motorcycle accident on such and such highway".

·
Powerhungry
37,707 Posts
Thank u Glocken.. I tried searching but i only get on thru my phone n i am not very good at finding things online!! Haha

When it all comes down to it i will never stop riding for someone else.. If i choose to go track only or even stop all together it will be my choice! I was just curious as to what everyone else has dealt with and how they went thru it.. Pretty much looking for exactly whats in the forum he posted in the reply.. I can tell pretty much everyone to lay off except Grandma! I dont care how old i am, cant DISRESPECT her. Now i can however continue to ride without her full support.. But at the same time i was just interested in what others have done to ease the stress of family.. Like i said it will be my choice and only mine to stop riding.. But if there was any way i could help my family feel better about it its worth a shot..
respect goes both ways.
and its earned.
is she respecting you?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Everyone's family is different. My parents would disown me if they knew I rode. and I'm way past the age of consent. I don't plan on telling them. a couple of my sibs know.

I'm the only one that rides at work, and to work. so I get an earful from my co-workers, although it has died down the last year or so (been riding for 3 yrs).

good times.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
People were taking bets on when I was going to eat it when I first started,now they wonder if I have a pact with the devil but have stopped talking about it.

They will never stop worrying , actually my dad doesn't even want to look at it or talk about it,everyone's hopes that I would get bored of a bike have all but dissipated and now they just watch and avoid the conversation all together.

It doesn't help that every thursday night at least two sport bikers die so everyone knows someone that has died on a bike, specially the sports bike type.

Bikes are unforgiven with accidents and mistakes, not many crash and walk away from it, it takes a certain special person to ride one for a long time unscratched.

It just seems that everyone wants to stop you from riding , just last night a guy approached me and told me that his cousin died on one ( I still don't understand what compels people to do stupid shit like this really) when I've told him I have been riding for 2 years he immediately told me "he rode for 3 before he died" so I replied "oh good! That means I can ride for a other year!" And he gave me a weird look and told me"your funeral" I wanted to tell him to go fuck himseld but people are ignorant.

Just do what you want as long as accept the possible consequences .

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Here is my opinion you may not like to hear it but,

FORGET about Family...

I seriously think people are on this earth to hold you down from pursuing your dreams, and living your life. Family included.....They want you to live for them, and it is all selfish.

Do what YOU want to do (within being legal) fuck what everyone else thinks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait till you start doing stupid shit like wheelies and other stunts on your bike. They really love that
I cant see it happening.. I may not have a cruiser.. But i ride it like one.. I enjoy the ride! I dont need those thrills.. I guess the side that rides rubbed off on me because ive learned alot from their mistakes n make sure im not being foolish

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its not that any1 is going to stop me.. I was just curious how ppl helped those that were worried get a little more comfortable with it.. I assumed it just took time.. Now im thinking that only works for some n others will never be ok with it.. N i guess thats fine with me..

Im just use to having the full support of my family.. Almost anything i have decided to do they back me.. So when they didnt like this i just wanted a way to help them get over it..

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here is my opinion you may not like to hear it but,

FORGET about Family...

I seriously think people are on this earth to hold you down from pursuing your dreams, and living your life. Family included.....They want you to live for them, and it is all selfish.

Do what YOU want to do (within being legal) fuck what everyone else thinks.
I don't thimk most people are trying to "hold you down" its usually just concern for your safety. As long as you realize its dangerous and respect/know your limits you cany do much more then that. I could kill myself falling out of bed.

My family is concerned about me riding but they trust I'm not a dumbass and know that I'm an adult who can make his own decision. I always emphasize to them that I wear all my gear and I'm honest with them when they have questions. Lack of knowledge is half the problem.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
97 Posts
xSpecBx;3432745\ [B said:
My family is concerned about me riding but they trust I'm not a dumbass and know that I'm an adult who can make his own decision. I always emphasize to them that I wear all my gear and I'm honest with them when they have questions. Lack of knowledge is half the problem.[/B]

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
my family is the exact same way. I just explained to them that i don't want to die either, i wear my gear EVERYTIME my leg swings over my bike and that i deeply appreciate their concern but i am not so and so who wrecked.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yeah you have to do what you love but be as safe as you can doing it. Everyone in my family felt I was going to hurt myself riding and I've been down twice no biggie got into some trouble with the cops ( expensive ticket but could have been way worse) an just last week I'm working on the bike got too comfortable doing things the easy unsafe way and it tears my thumb off an now I have 9.5 fingers. Who would have thought I'd mess myself up working on it worse than riding. :(

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
LOL @ Byron referring to his family as if they where "then man".

OK, now that I got that out and I'm not laughing anymore (thanks man I needed a laugh).....

When I first got a sport bike after riding cruisers for years this was reverse for me. Everyone except my family thought I was going to die. The only negativity against the sport bike family wise was my dad since he's always been a HD guy and he has said "I'm still surprised you bought that thing" from time to time.

A few years later with no accidents people have finally realized that I know how to ride and that I'm not going to die some squiddy death anymore. To be honest, the fact you chose to get a sport bike is as much or more of a concern then that fact its a motorcycle alone for your family. People see sport bikes as death machines way more then any other type of bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts