Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a 02 ZX 6R about 4 months ago and put about 800 miles in 2.5 months on it until I flipped a wheelie and wrecked it. I've realized that stunting is'nt worth it and dont think I'll be attempting any stunts soon. Should I still consider myself a "newbie"? reason I ask is coz I was considering getting a 03 636

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Well, sounds to me like you have a pretty mature attitude about things, so if you just keep in mind that you need to stay within your personal limits, you might be okay on the new bike. It's a bit different animal than the previous ZX6R for riding position and aggressiveness, so you might wanna make sure those aspects are gonna work for you before diving in and buying one...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
131 Posts
I still consider myself a newbie.. and I've been riding for about a year.. both on my 6R and my gf's 250.. I figure I'll always be learning and improving my riding skills constantly.. I'll probably hit up a track day or two this year.. Anyways.. the most important thing is what DJ said.. stay w/in your limits and know what you are capable off.. If you have your heart set on an '03.. good luck and enjoy your new bike... Cus I'll be jealous.. heheh[8D]

I need a girl to ride, ride, ride...

·
Registered
315 Posts
i did the same thing as you, except i flipped a 95 fzr. twisted the bike in half. ive never talked to anyone who has had this kind of accident. i lost probably 2 square feet of skin, the shit was un-fucking-believable. how fast were you going and what did you and the bike look like after it all happened

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by josh1095_1

how fast were you going and what did you and the bike look like after it all happened
about 40 - 50 mph ... bike was a mess: plastics, gauges, canister were all gone . I was abit luckier .. only minor road rash on my left arm

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds like a pretty awakening ordeal huh? That would have scared the crap out of me. I think that if you to get the 03, you should be getting some frame sliders and a steering damper, just in case you decide you want to do a wheelie or two. I am looking at getting mine as soon as possible. Don't want to mess this baby up for sure! She is too pretty!

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
284 Posts
So are you saying that you only have 800 miles riding experience? If so, then hell yes, you are an absolute newbie, and sure as hell shouldn't be A) doing wheelies, or B) buying a new 636 (IMHO).

I put 800 miles on mine in the first week, and have done 10k more in the 8 months since (this after spending a couple thousand miles on a 250), and I still feel like I have a hell of a long way to go in learning how to ride. What I need, personally, are some track days. Can't wait for spring.

My recommendation would be to buy something older and slower, and learn how to ride before you worry about having a brand new bike. Even a 600, just not a late-model supersport that's guaranteed to be putting out close to 100 horsepower. That's like taking driver's ed in a 750 horsepower Honda Accord.

----------------------
Dave Lee
Red '02
Open Throttle Sport Riders

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
dude, learn how to corner, brake, use proper throttle control and body english before wheelies. they are funner when you know your limits.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
dude, learn how to corner, brake, use proper throttle control and body english before wheelies. they are funner when you know your limits.

·
Registered
433 Posts
no matter how long you have been ridding, there are still things you can learn. Sometimes its the small fine points of ridding a motorcycle that can make a world of a difference. Just know your limits.[:I]

·
Registered
433 Posts
no matter how long you have been ridding, there are still things you can learn. Sometimes its the small fine points of ridding a motorcycle that can make a world of a difference. Just know your limits.[:I]

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Originally posted by MogZx-6r
I agree... I've been riding for 20 years but only two years on my sport bike. it's a whole nother beast to learn about, and there's a lotta learnin' to be had.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.