Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my permit yesterday and I have been looking at getting a Ninja 250.
I have been looking at craigslist ill list some of the ones i was looking at. but lets say I went to go look at one is there anything to mainly watch for like oil leaks, chain issues, im not sure pretty new at this. Like I was looking at the second and was thinking about going to look at it but one of my friends said that 16,000 miles is way to much miles and it would fall apart im just wondering what your opinions are and what you mainly do when your looking at buying a used bike?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/882983927.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/885543779.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
the less miles it has on it the better, that's a given. But it also does matter on how the miles were put on. Was it cross country or racing your buddy down the street? The first thing that I looked at when I bought a used bike was to see if it had ever been laid down. And don't just look at the fiberglass, that can be replaced. It probably wouldn't hurt to take it to a mechanic to have them look at it, if it's really worth it to you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Best way is,,,

1. Ask if pink slip is in the seller's name...A lot of middle men, dealers, rip off artist usually won't register it in their name because they got to pay tax and other fees.
2. if its not in their name, red alert,,, then ask if salvaged, reconditioned, or drop, dented, scratches... If its dropped and they say happened while in garage or parking lot,,, red alert,,,lot of times,,, its more like going down while riding 20mph and above...
3. current tags,,, if not get ready to pay back DMV fees.
4. get close up pics before even going to see it..
5. go to NADA.com to get blue book price...let it be your guide,,,, its a deal if price is toward lower range providing bike is good.
6. Experienced older biker normally haven't dropped their bike and usually keep it pretty good... while young guys are into modding, jetting and probably wheelies, high rpm usage.
7. Ask when bought, if bike is still manufacture warranty or extended warranty.
8. then ask what kind of mods were done on it,,, then you get to know whether the guy was a speed lover or average bike rider..
9. check forks for leaks, rear suspension for problems, sit and bounce on it,, apply break and then press fork down couple of times,,, then check for leaks..
10. does bike track straight,,, if not might have been downed but owner put new parts back on to make it look like new or good conditioned.
11.. I have seen crashed bikes at dealers mechanic shops,,, where mechanic was reparing with new parts and used parts, then resell it on floor as used bike without revealing that bike was ever downed... yeah, dealers do go to auction to buy crashed bikes,, minor or major ones.. and rebuild for profit..
12. check for engine leaks, paint difference,,,telltale sign of crashed bike repainted back to new look.
13. don't buy bike without test drive to check out engine, gear, clutch and other major parts of bike to see how they perform...
14.. if seller won't let you test ride, then offer seller that if you crash it, then you buy... or sign contract that after you buy,,,and test ride reveals not good functioning bike and seller has to refund money and take bike back and that buyer can return for any reason within that 10-15test ride.

good luck...usually pink slip thing gets rid of half the sellers,,,, most have liens on it by their lenders for bike and its a hassle buying like that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts