Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what it takes to turn a fully faired bike into a naked one.

Yes, I know the fairings come off but some other things need to be done too. I assume an aftermarket headlight is bought and aftermarket front turn signals? How about using the factory gauge cluster?

I'm asking because my bike is damaged and I'm not really looking forward to buying 800+ dollars worth of plastic and I happen to appreciate and like the look of naked bikes.

I guess what I'm looking for is any pointers on where to buy the parts I need. For example, possibility of using stock parts from other bikes or good source for needed aftermarket parts. Maybe headlight and signals off a Z1000? Who makes things like a single or dual headlight?

This is an '08 250R by the way.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
uh oh another 08? These go down more than Caligirl ( only joking honey - saw u lurkin)

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uh oh another 08? These go down more than Caligirl ( only joking honey - saw u lurkin)
I went down on mine over a month ago. Dealing with what to do with the bike was not a priority though. Still isn't but I need to do something with it since I'm still making payments on it.

Gravel's a bitch.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the link, Mr. Gone.

Reading it now.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Sucks, to hear..Are they just scratched or smashed?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

:eek: a lady such as myself does no such thing...at least I will never admit it ;)

I went down on mine over a month ago. Dealing with what to do with the bike was not a priority though. Still isn't but I need to do something with it since I'm still making payments on it.

Gravel's a bitch.
I'm right there with you. Good luck with the street fighter project, it'll look good! Take pics and what not!

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sucks, to hear..Are they just scratched or smashed?
I don't remember exactly, to be honest. I haven't seen the bike in over a month. Long story, don't ask. It was lowsided on the left side. Off memory, the upper fairing is done, left fairing was cracked, left peg broke, shifter bent, handle bar bent.

I have to go get it and I'll be able to assess the damage better then.

Even still, it might be worth to do anyway for a different look/feel.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I don't remember exactly, to be honest. I haven't seen the bike in over a month. Long story, don't ask. It was lowsided on the left side. Off memory, the upper fairing is done, left fairing was cracked, left peg broke, shifter bent, handle bar bent.

I have to go get it and I'll be able to assess the damage better then.

Even still, it might be worth to do anyway for a different look/feel.
If you start doing this soon and you need to get rid of your headlight, gauges, windshield-let me know!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CG, I'll get back to you about that soon. Could definately help offset the cost.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Bah cost! I will post pics of my new bike/project..I will show you cost!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Turn that bitch into a Z250! Get the headlight/mini fairing off the Z1000, along with those fake radiator cover things. My 04' Z1000 was one cool looking bike once I ditched the batman pipes and put a full muzzy on, then did a black-out paint scheme on the side parts. Look for pics of the blacked out ones, either on this forum or others.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Turn that bitch into a Z250! Get the headlight/mini fairing off the Z1000, along with those fake radiator cover things. My 04' Z1000 was one cool looking bike once I ditched the batman pipes and put a full muzzy on, then did a black-out paint scheme on the side parts. Look for pics of the blacked out ones, either on this forum or others.
Ditto +eleventy billion...

I'll help with the pic cause I have no shame in not passing an opp to show off a pick of my Z ;)

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and buy the parts I need. After looking it over, the damage is not as bad as I thought and the only badly damaged part is the front cowl fairing. The left fairing is rashed and cracked/broken at the front and the front tire fender is broken but I can deal with those until I have some spart money to replace it.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
www.customfighters.com

You're going to have to hide your wiring harness, relocate your coolant overflow and generally do a lot of work to clean up the look of the bike. Like a LOT of work. But it can be done.

Then you'll need to find an aftermarket headlight and front turn signals. Once you've reached that point you may as well chop off the tail and put something on there that looks good. GSXR, CBR something... lol then paint the whole thing black polish the frame and add a set of engine guards.

Stock gauges should still work, but you'll need to figure out a mount for them.

Hey... and do yourself a favor, ditch the clip ons and install some dirt bike bars. You'll thank yourself for it!

Oooooh, and you'll need mirrors too - I vote for bar ends. Could be a sick ride with a little elbow grease.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I second what Sev said the new 250s have a cool headlight just cut down the fairing around it. Being it is a single and carbed it should be very minimal under the plastic. By swapping to a pod filter and yanking the air box you should have a ton of room under the tank for wiring. Then black out the radiator maybe do something interesting like a under bike exhaust or a shorty can. Just alot of time involved I did this to a old 98 fzr 600 was a cool bike all done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts