Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Buy Sunoco ultra 94 octane. (Find one with a Dedicated nozzle for the high test so you don't get the quarter gallon of low test stuff left in the line.) Get anywhere from 150-170 miles/tank. Tried other 90+ in this area in my 4wheeler (10:1 compression small block ford) and got some pinging.
2003 zx636

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was just wondering...

1. What brand of gas you all bought.

2. What octane you run (on the street).

3. How many miles or kilometers you get to a tank.

If you could indicate the bike you have that'd be cool.

As always, thanks for the input![8D]

·
Registered
298 Posts
In central kansas its hard to find anything over 91, but my 01 6R runs great on it. Speaking of a fuel alternative, I built up a really tough briggs go-kart engine and its running on straight EVERCLEAR!!! although I wouldn't advise running it in your bike, its just pretty damn cool to see a little engine like this briggs to be running on that stuff.

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I was running Chevron 94 octane, and I just got 265 km (165 miles) out of a tank before hitting the reserve!!!

The only thing is I ran out in front of a Payless gas station and put their 87 octane in.WHAT A MISTAKE. Acceleration is SUPER slow, throttle is like a switch, on or off, and very touchy.

I'll never nake that mistake again!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Running higher octane fuel than your engine requires generallly won't make more horsepower and usually will make less.

I am using Chevron now because it contains a additive they call Techron which is Polyetheramine. It is the same stuff that is in the BG 44K fuel additive. It removes coking on the back of the intake valves which the Kawasakis suffer from. As far as I know Chevron is the only big supplier that contains this stuff.

I put a Factory Pro +4 advancer on my bike and it requires 93 octane so I now run 93 unless I can't get it. Before that I ran 87 with good results. I used to get about 140 miles on the highway before reserve. After a jet kit it went up (can you belive that) to about 160 before reserve at about 75 mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I´m from Argentina. I use 97 octane gasoline. I have a 96 zx6r and i do 110 milles at high speed whit the total of the tank.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The U.S has a weird method of rating octane. The gas that is posted as 93 octane here would be 97 (I think) most other places.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Canada and the US.

Do NOT use 94/93 Canada/US octane gas in your bike unless you have SERIOUS ignition advance adn/or compression bump up. SWJ is right, the higher octane will COST you power UNLESS you need it.

I usually use middle grade octane (89/90). I have +2 degrees.

Ummm, Sunoco is fine for most apps, just don't use it to fill your tank when storing over winter. ALL grades they have use a lot of ethanol (10% I think). Not only is specific energy (BTU) less, it also breaks down over long periods of time (+2 months). Moisture in the tank = bad.

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cambridgezx6r: '03 zx6r users manual says to use at least 90 octane. Must be a compression ratio difference between the two. ('03 636 is 12.8:1) I've had some 90 octane around here that caused the ecu to retard my timing to avoid detonation. (Thus the sluggishness found on an F.I. bike when you get some bad stuff)
[8D]

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yup, the J series ZX6R needs less octane than the '03.

Use the minimum or next to min octane that you need -- higher octane gas will actually give you a less clean burn/costs more.

'00 ZX6R silver

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.