Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

i am quite a noob to biking..(zx6r) going well at the moment and really enjoying it. but i was wondering what gear you usually ride in? for a while i forgot i had six gears and was sitting in 3rd and 4th all the time.. now i ride in 5th or 6th, but obviously i dont have as much power at my disposal. this is just normal riding around town, so 30mph zones... a rider friend of mine says its better to have that power at your hands just in case.. just wondering what you guys feel...

cheers

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
1 piece, unless Im two up.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
1 piece, unless Im two up.
:Laughing rolling:
damn you croom. i was getting ready to say something similair.

anyway..yeh i prob best to have some power on hand. for emergency escapes and such.
BUT most time, if your paying attention(like you should be) you wont need it.

i generally ride in a somewhat high gear. i dont need, or like the bike friggin screaking up top all day.

it only serves to use more fuel, and annoy the shit out of already idiotic people. aswell as perpetuating our "bad" name.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
I'm with Nevada on this one, I usually keep it in a high gear. On the 10, that means turning like 3k around town in 4-6th. 2nd Gear at 4100rpm is EXTREMELY loud for some reason, it is just the right resinance to annoy the world.

Oddly enough, when I leave work and hit the freeway I usually end up at 85 in 2nd and then have to click my way up to 6th. Sometimes I only get to 5th and don't realize it for a mile or two. *shrug* Close-ratio trans FTW!

·
Registered
201 Posts
6th seeing as I am still in the breakin I want to get to the 4k limit as fast as I can

·
Registered
127 Posts
I usually ride like 4th or 5th around town that way the rpms aren't too high but close enough to the rpms to get out of trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
well I unlocked the hidden 7th and 8th gear, so I am usually in one of those, unless I am in 3rd or 4th. It depends on the speed limit for the road I am on, my city has a noise law and they will bust people for loud exhaust, so I have to keep the rpm's low to keep the exhaust quite.

Reactions: sd97500r

·
Registered
3 Posts
well I unlocked the hidden 7th and 8th gear, so I am usually in one of those, unless I am in 3rd or 4th. It depends on the speed limit for the road I am on, my city has a noise law and they will bust people for loud exhaust, so I have to keep the rpm's low to keep the exhaust quite.
Is that sarcasm about extra gears or is there a mod that I havent heard about yet?

·
Kawi for Life!
1,610 Posts
I can't get the 8th gear to unlock. How'd you do it. PM me man. The 7th gear is bad ass. totally opens up the bike to a whole new level

·
Registered
356 Posts
Did you guys know if you shift just right you can get into half gears? This makes bikes with 6 gears actually give you 12 gears at your disposal. I think it's only on the older ZZR600's like mine though...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I'm never in 6th at 30 mph, usually 3rd/4th depending on mood. It's good to be in a gear where you have some power and are one or two gears away from the powerband just in case something comes up.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Is that sarcasm about extra gears or is there a mod that I havent heard about yet?
You haven't found the mod yet? GEEESH...gonna have to do a search for it.

I can't get the 8th gear to unlock. How'd you do it. PM me man. The 7th gear is bad ass. totally opens up the bike to a whole new level
PM sent, yeah you think 7th is badass, wait till you get 8th.....you'll flip

Did you guys know if you shift just right you can get into half gears? This makes bikes with 6 gears actually give you 12 gears at your disposal. I think it's only on the older ZZR600's like mine though...
Yeah, actually if I remember correctly from my days of wrenching and from what the Kawi reps told me, it was only your year of ZZR600 that had the 1/2 gear option, you got yourself a collectors bike there man.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i'll give you 50 grand for that bike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts