Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 08 250 with almost 300 miles... and after about 1 week and a half of not using it, decided to go for a spin today. Warmed it up with the choke on for about 1-2 minutes and rpms started to hit 3k so I turned the choke off and let it warm up more for maybe another 2-3 minutes.

I took off and as I switched to 2nd gear, I noticed that the rpms didn't move no matter how much throttle I would use. It was as if the bike was not responding to the throttle. Rmps were at about 1k... after a few throttle plays it went back to normal.

What happened? Engines still too cold?

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
What happened? Engines still too cold?
Yes most likely. I noticed in your list of 'mods' you didn't list needle shimming. With the Yoshi pipe and having to use your choke in the middle of summer perhaps that would be... Helpful (to say the least) :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have it jetted soon... and actually I don't have the yoshi installed yet, was planning on installing it just before taking my bike to the shop for the jetting.

Also, the bike felt weird the entire night... so I think maybe its the tire pressure.

What the correct tire pressure for this bike? Yes I know I can check on the manual... but I'm at work now :).

Thank you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I will have it jetted soon... and actually I don't have the yoshi installed yet, was planning on installing it just before taking my bike to the shop for the jetting.

Also, the bike felt weird the entire night... so I think maybe its the tire pressure.

What the correct tire pressure for this bike? Yes I know I can check on the manual... but I'm at work now :).

Thank you.
Might want to think about have the bike jetted before you put the yoshi on - less chance of running to lean. I would rather have a rich run and get the plugs dirty than a lean one and burn a valve/piston top. :(

If you are on a computer you always have access to specifications and basic service information for the Ninja.

From the Kawasaki web site specs for the 2008 Ninja 250 (http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasakinew...etingID=163&ModelYear=2008&ModelCode=EX250J8F)

Tire Pressure (Cold)
—Front 28 psi
—Rear 32 psi

Or the other good site for info is Ninja250.org (http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_tire_pressures_should_I_use?)

If I remember correctly many of the discussions on the forum have leaned more towards 28/28 instead of the 28/32 in the book.

How do you know what will be best for your riding? One of the tricks I used in the "old" days of auto-crossing in my X 1/9 was to put chalk marks from the center of the tire tread to the side wall at four places around the tire (12, 3, 6, and 9) on both sides. After a run or ride look at the marks and see how far up the side wall you went. If you took a lot of chalk off going up the side wall the pressure was too low and you were getting rolling. If you didn't get onto the side wall the pressure was probably to high.

Have fun, ride safe.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might want to think about have the bike jetted before you put the yoshi on - less chance of running to lean. I would rather have a rich run and get the plugs dirty than a lean one and burn a valve/piston top. :(

If I remember correctly many of the discussions on the forum have leaned more towards 28/28 instead of the 28/32 in the book.
Wouldn't it be better for the exhaust to be installed BEFORE they install the jetkit and tweak it? I assume the shop will do some "tweaking" after the jetkit is installed right? I'm a noob so I'm not really sure...

As for the tire pressure, I'll give 28/28 a try, since it seems that many run 27/27 from another post I just found.

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
If they are going to do the tweaking why not have them put the exhaust on also? Just curious.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you.

So this weekend I checked the tire pressure... and surely enough I found a problem.

The front tire had about 18psi!!! No wonder it felt funny when I rode it...

I left my tires at 28/28 and now it feels awesome again :D.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If you need choke in the middle of summer you should think about richening up your idle mixture. Pop them caps off and crank the screws out at least 2 - 2.5 turns and see what a difference this makes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts