1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
most common is running the gunk from the bottom of your tank thru your pump

·
Powerhungry
38,205 Posts
ok, seriously. you can suck crud, and water out of the bottom of the tank. assuming there is any. when i took my tank off, it was spotless.
also, the pump is cooled by being submerged in fuel, so running it very low, or dry is said to be not very good for it.

i run mine as far as i can just about every time. and have ran it empty, and had to push it to the station once. ive got almost 30k on it, and still have the Original pump. so it cant be THAT bad for it...

so basically, if you dont want to walk, or push it, dont run it empty. likely that nothing catastrophic will happen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You'll run out of gas... and be immobile for a moment.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Ran out of fuel? Did your little idiot light not flash at you? Or did you ignore it? I know I filled my GSXR up asap after that light came on. Not because I was afraid of running out of gas, but because that little yellow light was fucking annoying.

But yeah, it won't hurt anything. More of a pain in the ass if anything.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
One point of advice: Don't run out of fuel under heavy load (such as hard acceleration). Under light load such as idling or cruising you'll simply run out of fuel and have to push it to a fuel station. If you're up at 12,000 RPM and run it out you can melt stuff :p

And high-end racing pumps like Walbro's will burn up if you run them out of fuel. OEM's know people will do this so the pumps in most OEM applications can run low or empty on fuel with no repercussions.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ran out of fuel? Did your little idiot light not flash at you? Or did you ignore it? I know I filled my GSXR up asap after that light came on. Not because I was afraid of running out of gas, but because that little yellow light was fucking annoying.

But yeah, it won't hurt anything. More of a pain in the ass if anything.

I'd say fucking annoying good god.

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
They are lying to you. Running out of gas is seriouz bidness.

Look what happend to this guy when he ran out of gas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Probalby depends on the bike you have. A friend of mine with an older ZX 7 ran his bike out of gas, and it took 20 minutes of cranking to get it to run again after he filled it up. I ran my Beemer 1200RT out of gas once on the freeway and it was a complete non event - fired right up after roadside assistance threw a gallon in the tank.

(Note - when I ran the BMW out of gas, the fuel gauge FAILED showing a quarter of a tank and it was the ONLY TIME I EVER forgot to display the trip odometer, even though I set it. Beemers have this bad habit of not displaying last set information on startup. I have never run any other vehicle -car, bike or airplane, out of gas.)

·
Powerhungry
38,205 Posts
Probalby depends on the bike you have. A friend of mine with an older ZX 7 ran his bike out of gas, and it took 20 minutes of cranking to get it to run again after he filled it up. I ran my Beemer 1200RT out of gas once on the freeway and it was a complete non event - fired right up after roadside assistance threw a gallon in the tank.

(Note - when I ran the BMW out of gas, the fuel gauge FAILED showing a quarter of a tank and it was the ONLY TIME I EVER forgot to display the trip odometer, even though I set it. Beemers have this bad habit of not displaying last set information on startup. I have never run any other vehicle -car, bike or airplane, out of gas.)
not FI.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts