Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the chain is on too tight or tighter than recommended? will it snap or will you miss gears and/or will your acceleration be different?

Vin:"I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time"
Arturo:Hahahahhaha...Why?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
At best, a maladjusted chain hastens chain and sprocket wear, saps power through friction losses, ups driveline lash, and rubs on static parts like the chain guard.

At worst, if the chain is also worn, it breaks (when it is too tight at a standstill and the suspension bottoms out) or jumps off the sprockets (when it is too loose at a standstill and the suspension tops out), snagging on the engine sprocket or locking the rear wheel with obvious results.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tightened my chain and i know its not too tight but now im worried that i didnt evenly back out the wheel. everyone was saying to turn the same amount on both sides, and im trying real hard but i give it a good jerk to break them loose. i aligned both sides even and so far evrything runs normal.....but i didbt turn out the nuts evenly. should i have a tech align them?

Vin:"I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time"
Arturo:Hahahahhaha...Why?

·
Registered
768 Posts
The marks on your swingarm are just a guideline. If you want to make sure you stuff is lined up I got a trick for you.

You'll need a bike stand for this to lift the rear wheel off the ground and make your bike straight (not a sidestand). Make sure your front wheel is straight. Now take a long piece of string. Find the middle of it and have your friend hold it on the front wheel in the middle or tape it there. Now run it back to your wheel on both sides. The string should hit the tire in two places on both sides(if it hits it more than twice you have more problems than I care to explain).

You can now tell if the back wheel is straight or not. If the string touches the front of the tire on the left and the back of the right tire or vice versa adjust the wheel.

Oh yeah, make sure the string is low enough that it isn't hitting your fairings or this isn't going to work at all.

I hope what I said is clear. Should be an easy concept to understand unless my ranting and ravings have screwed it all up.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.