Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a helmet this spring and was looking to get some suggestions for an idea.

I have a 96 zx-6 wine red. So either a Wine Red or a red/white or red/black helmet let me know what u guys think.

I was thinking about an hjc or the scropion ones.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I've never had any complaints about HJC....they saved my melon twice! Hell some pro racers wear em so they can't be that bad....although they r a lot heavier than the GOOD ones. (Arai, Shoei, Suomy)

·
Registered
58 Posts
+1 on the scorpion. I have a Shoei X-11, my wife has the scorpion exo-700. I like hers better, best bag for the buck in my opinion, plus its snell/dot certified.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Originally posted by STYLN636
I've never had any complaints about HJC....they saved my melon twice! Hell some pro racers wear em so they can't be that bad....although they r a lot heavier than the GOOD ones. (Arai, Shoei, Suomy)
Ya their alright if you don't mind looking like a booble head, shitty ventilation, wind noise, wants to lift off your head at speed, uncomfortable....i can keep going on. Find a clearanced priced high-end lid, that your best bet. your nookin is worth it bro.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have an HJC CL-14 and a Shoei RF1000.

For casual riding the HJC is ok. It fogs up pretty easily, but I mainly ride with visor cracked open when using the HJC. But don't use it as a race helmet, it lacks a visor lock (it will snap open if you turn your head at high speeds, reason I bought the shoei), and it rides up from lift at higher speeds. I still use my HJC for casual riding and riding to work. It has larger ear pockets for headphones or chatterbox, and the chin sticks out a bit more. Makes wearing the helmet /w glasses alot easier. (I can shove the helmet on without taking my glasses off.)

A friend I ride with has a scorpion EXO 400. From what I can see, it's very good for the price. 2 features I like are the Anti-fog coating and breath guard. It has some attempt at a rear spoiler, but I haven't talked to anyone who've ridden fast enough to get a good assestment of it. It seems like a good helmet overall, but it lacks a visor lock.

Design wise (from reading) I think I like the Shark. It's a no frills helmet /w everything I would like to see in a helmet. (visor lock, large intake for demisting, simple mechinism, meets euro safety standards, rear spoiler). I ended up getting the Shoei RF1000 since it had the same features I wanted and the wait for the Shark was long. It's a great race helmet by the way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ive had three hjc all the top of line the ac series and had no problems visor never opened on me and it never fogged i like em, i cant see spending 600 on a helmet that might get chipped from rocks and when i get one for 200 and take the other 400 for a steering damper or some other cool toys

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you dont mind buying used check ebay. I got an Arai rx7 corsair very lightly used for 250. It far exceeds my Icon Manic Mainframe, Shoei RF 800 and My cheapy little Zox that I got when I bought my bike. If you want to read here is my experience with these helmet I listed.

Icon Mainframe (made by HJC)- Hot, ventilation sucks compared to the Arai, road noise isnt too bad, keeps the bike noise down too. However at higher speeds those big vents on top grab the air so hard it feels like your helmet is tearing your neck off. Visor fogs up pretty easily too but looks sharp.Probably would like it more if I lived in a cooler environment, except for wanting to tear my head off. Paid 175 brand new off ebay.

Shoei RF 800. A little bit older technology but loved the paint job. Poor ventilation compared to the Arai, less than the Icon, about as wind noisy as the Icon but keeps the engine sound waaay down. In all fairness its 6 years old so what do you expect. Bought it used on ebay for 90 bucks. Looks cool and like the shape. Again, would probably like it more if our weather wasnt like living on the surface of the sun.

Zox- well, its cheap but it hugs my head perfect, better on wind noise than all of them, honestly. Ventilation not too bad, better than the Icon and the old Shoei. However, plastic molded, very thin, You can hear the engine as if you had no helmet on at all. Physically smaller than all of the others. (built with less material I assume). Not too sure I would want to crash in it. 69 bucks at the dealer.

Arai corsair- Fits great, Ventilation awesome, I can feel the air blowing my hair around inside the helmet. Visor vents for your forehead/eyebrows work incredible. Good on wind noise, buts still whistles pretty good with all the vents open, visor hardly ever fogs up. Sticks to your head while going fast. My recommendation by far. As I said, 250 lightly used on ebay. Not as pretty as the Icon or the Shoei, but that was just the luck of the draw and the comfort makes up for it.

I can post pics when I get home if anybody wants to see the exact ones I am talking about. And please dont flame me either for my opinions. This was my personal experience with the different helmets that I own. So I hope this helps you and sorry for the long thread.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Most Important Question:

?How much are you willing to spend?

Bottom line is that, anyone can recommend a "good" helmet for any price range. I personally spend $600-900 on each of my helmets now but I did start of with a $100 helmet, so it is what your will to spend.

If you have money and dont mind trying different helmets then do it, that is what I did. I bought almost every "good" helmet I can find in the course of over a year and half to find "my" helmet, here is the list of helmet i went through.

Fulmer AC-7
AGV X-Vent
Suomy Gunwind
Shoei TZ
Shoei RF-900
Shoei RF1000
Arai Rx-7
Arai Quantum
OGK FF3
OGK FF3GP
Suomy Spec-1R Extream
Vemar Carbon Fiber VSR

and there is probabaly a few I left out...

But after trying on all these helmets i have found that you do mostly get what you pay for, what I mean is not concerning Saftey because my cheap $150 Fulmer did its job when I went down no problem but instead the ride comfort. Basically you are paying for new innovative composite material what is light weight, new venting design, and new windtunnel testing, not for if the helmet will hold up in a crash, because the cheapest DOT helmet out there will.
Let me tell you the Suomy Extream and Vemar Carbon helmet is crazy light, esp the Vemar which weight less then 3lbs, plus it vest like a mofo! and if you ever looked over your should at over 80mph you will be thankfull of the no lift desgine. So spend what you got, if you can afford a $100, $200, $300, or whatever, do it but expect to get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Originally posted by 2k6r520
Most Important Question:

?How much are you willing to spend?

Bottom line is that, anyone can recommend a "good" helmet for any price range. I personally spend $600-900 on each of my helmets now but I did start of with a $100 helmet, so it is what your will to spend.

If you have money and dont mind trying different helmets then do it, that is what I did. I bought almost every "good" helmet I can find in the course of over a year and half to find "my" helmet, here is the list of helmet i went through.

Fulmer AC-7
AGV X-Vent
Suomy Gunwind
Shoei TZ
Shoei RF-900
Shoei RF1000
Arai Rx-7
Arai Quantum
OGK FF3
OGK FF3GP
Suomy Spec-1R Extream
Vemar Carbon Fiber VSR

and there is probabaly a few I left out...

But after trying on all these helmets i have found that you do mostly get what you pay for, what I mean is not concerning Saftey because my cheap $150 Fulmer did its job when I went down no problem but instead the ride comfort. Basically you are paying for new innovative composite material what is light weight, new venting design, and new windtunnel testing, not for if the helmet will hold up in a crash, because the cheapest DOT helmet out there will.
Let me tell you the Suomy Extream and Vemar Carbon helmet is crazy light, esp the Vemar which weight less then 3lbs, plus it vest like a mofo! and if you ever looked over your should at over 80mph you will be thankfull of the no lift desgine. So spend what you got, if you can afford a $100, $200, $300, or whatever, do it but expect to get what you pay for.
And the winner for best advice goes to.....drum roll....Tony... and the crowd goes wild!!!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm currently riding with an HJC and in the past I took a fall also with an HJC and I dont have brain damage yet (no comment). But it is loud and seems heavy after wearing friends arai and shoei. I'm personally hunting for a new helmet to get out of HJC.

I got the wife the new ICON girlie pink helmet (forgot the name) and she loves the way it feels; god hopes it stays up the same way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I too have an Icon - I like the design although it is heavier than the premium brands and has a frightening lift at higher speeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.