Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since our stock tire profiles are front:120/65/17 rear:180/55/17, how would peformance be affected by changed to front:120/60/17 rear:190/50/17? i'm trying to get a lower profile so the bikes sits lower. i'm not really worried about decreased performance, just wondering what it would do? how would handling change?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i dont think changing tire sizes will drop your bikes stance. i know on cars yeah cuz im thinking of getting 18's on my mustang, so i can lower it more without mods like springs. i know you can add lowering links or change the shock in the rear, i think. just so you know i heard on this forum that if you lower it the kick stand will have to modified and the steering will be way difffrent.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey if ur going from 17" rims to 18" rims it's going to raise ur car. unless u lower ur tire profile significantly, even then ur gap between ur tire and fender will still be noticeable. get some eibach springs, u won't regret it.

yeah, i lowered my katana this way before, that 1/4" goes a long way. i'm just wondering if my skills do get better, who knows they might, will i cut myself short on the bike's handling?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If your skills improve, the change to a lower profile tire will help you steer quicker. Since there is less rubber between the handlebars and the ground, your inputs will be that much quicker.

The difference isn't huge, but it's there.
BC

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
im not trying to drop it...its more like changing the stance on my stang. 18 inch rims isnt going to raise your car....only if its a truck. its this method called "plus sizing" i think. the wheel size looks diffrent even though it is the same. bigger rim, thinner tire. ill just keep the 17's , but get them wider.....after i paint my bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The number on tire defines the size as follows:
The first # is the width in cm
The second # is the % of the tire height in relation to it's width
Of course the 3rd # is the rim diameter

Changing from a 120/65 to a 120/60 will lower the front by a bit (120/60 is the stock tire on the '98-'99 by the way)

Changing from a 180/55 to a 190'50 will retain it's height but make it wider. This IS NOT recommended for a 5.5" rim though because the tire will become "deformed"

To lower your bike all you need to do is loosen the triple clamps and raise the forks. You will easily get 1-2 " lowering. For the back you need to replace the two liks that are holding the link. I'm quite certain you can get them at the dealer.

go green or go home!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
quote:
The number on tire defines the size as follows:
The first # is the width in cm
This is incorrect. The first number in the tire size designation is the section width in millimeters. For instance, a 180/55 tire has a section width of 180 mm.

quote:
Changing from a 180/55 to a 190'50 will retain it's height but make it wider.
This is also incorrect. The section height of a 180/55 tire is 55% of 180 or 99 mm and that of a 190/50 tire is 50% of 190 or 95 mm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok I meant mm....
But A 4 mm drop will never be noticeable....
And what I meant to say is that when you go one size wider and the % goes down by 5% the height will remain very close to original.

go green or go home!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think i had this combination on my old 98 6R at one point with BT010s. I don't recall any impression of a change in height. I don't recall much of a change in handling either. Why do You want to lower Your bike? There may be other alternatives You could look at depending on what You want to acheive.

CUT BACK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.