Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
297 Posts
???

Tire pressure, or the non-adjustable nitrogen gas shock?

Stock tire pressure to answer your question, 42 psi.

· The Indifference Engine
6,136 Posts
You want to adjust the spring, but it's a steel coil spring. You don't put air in a shock, you put nitrogen in it, and you don't touch THAT unless you're a professional mechanic and are willing to rebuild the whole shock. Not to mention you have to cut away a block off plate just to get AT the nitrogen.

Usually that little bladder is inflated to 175+ PSI btw, so just opening that Schroeder valve can hurt you pretty good.

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait hang on... My shock has a valve on it which is clearly the same deal as any gas valve to pump in or release gas. The reason why I would like to fill it back up is because I ended up losing some due to ignorance on my part. Am I missing the point altogether? Is 175psi the recommended pressure inside the little reservoir?

· Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
37,014 Posts
The pressure isnt supposed to be adjusted...take it to a suspension tuner to get refilled.

What were you trying to do?

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pressure isnt supposed to be adjusted...take it to a suspension tuner to get refilled.

What were you trying to do?
I just poked the valve for fun I suppose (bare in mind its a used ebay item). They made it so easy I'm not even joking. Once again, what's the rated pressure for the reservoir and yes I will go to some suspension shop but I still need the right numbers. thanks

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
never poke on gas reservoirs for fun.. lol

you could have been injuried!
It's not like I'm poking at a big @ss helium tank with a laser torch. Those little gas chambers on the shocks are actually very sturdy, and I don't think ever recalling one exploding in someone's face. Can we get to the numbers yet? plzzzzzzzz :)

6,136 Posts
Here's the thing, it's not listed in the manual because it's considered a sealed unit. 175psi is about the lowest you will ever find one at, but some go up to 400 or so. Also, it is not air, it is pure nitrogen, because air which contains oxygen will cause an explosion when under pressure if it contacts oil.

Take it to a shop, you will not be given numbers here.

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the thing, it's not listed in the manual because it's considered a sealed unit. 175psi is about the lowest you will ever find one at, but some go up to 400 or so. Also, it is not air, it is pure nitrogen, because air which contains oxygen will cause an explosion when under pressure if it contacts oil.

Take it to a shop, you will not be given numbers here.
it's not a sealed unit if they provide an easy to access valve to pump gas in. The valve cap is also just a plastic nipple.

· Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
37,014 Posts
lol you still dont get it... you wont be pumping this up with a compressor (and it lasting long.) And what shock, none of mine were plastic nipples.

'They made it so easy so you poked it for fun?' I am a bit worried....

· Powerhungry
39,299 Posts
take it to someone who deals with suspension, and have it filled correctly.
on top of the other things that was said, you dont want to use air, as it contains a lot of water, which will be very bad for the internals, AND not to mention will turn to vapor when it gets hot. meaning the shock wont work for shit.
stop screwing with shit that you know nothing about.

did westcoast change his name?

· Registered
272 Posts
OMG, some people should just not be allowed to touch their bike, EVER.

If you are going to post up on a motorcycle forum asking for advice and then don't listen to the advice-you have to expect people to stop helping you.........Granted some people post up idiotic advice all the time, but reading through a few posts it is easy to tell who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.

If you don't know why or how something works, you should not be playing with it ! Unless you are profusely rich and can just take it to someone in the end to have your antics fixed...HAd you read a manual any manual it would have told you it was nitrogen filled ! or common sense (which actually isn't that common at all)-every spec sheet around for new bikes lists the rear shocks as nitrogen filled blah blah blah

And no, I am not bashing on You- I am bashing on stupidity and laziness and modern day society where far too many think they are entitled.............

· Registered
28,587 Posts
there's so little fucking nitrogen in that shock that if you even let anything out of it for a tenth of a second you just lost 3/4 of the pressure in it.

good job, bud

what you need to refill it is a tank of nitrogen, a very accurate set of regulators, and an adapter for the valve on the shock. this is not something you can do yourself.

6,136 Posts
I don't know if you know this, but the stock shock uses a metal blockoff plate to cover access to the nipple/Schroeder valve. You need to pull that off with a woodscrew, or cut it away with a set of tinsnips to get to the point that you could release the nitrogen.

Again, DO NOT PUT REGULAR COMPRESSED AIR IN THERE. For several reasons:
1) You cannot get high enough pressure with standard compressor
2) Compressed oxygen is explosive when combined with oil (there is a rubber seal that prevents the oil from touching the nitrogen but it can fail)
3) Air contains moisture (as nevada mentioned) which will corrode everything it touches, and increase pressure as that boils.

· Registered
28,587 Posts
I don't know if you know this, but the stock shock uses a metal blockoff plate to cover access to the nipple/Schroeder valve. You need to pull that off with a woodscrew, or cut it away with a set of tinsnips to get to the point that you could release the nitrogen.

Again, DO NOT PUT REGULAR COMPRESSED AIR IN THERE. For several reasons:
1) You cannot get high enough pressure with standard compressor
2) Compressed oxygen is explosive when combined with oil (there is a rubber seal that prevents the oil from touching the nitrogen but it can fail)
3) Air contains moisture (as nevada mentioned) which will corrode everything it touches, and increase pressure as that boils.

not all shocks have this

· Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
37,014 Posts
I had my bike pump on my shock for two hours because I had a poker run with with a hefty chick on the back... Never did turn out well lol.

6,136 Posts
not all shocks have this
True, I assumed we were talking about a stock/factory shock on the 2007 zx6r. I've got a bunch of them laying around all have the block off plate. On the other hand, my Elka just has a tire valve cap over the Schroeder valve. But I knew better then to touch it.

OP, contact the manufacturer if it's not a stock part. If it isn't a stock part I apologize for assuming it was. This does not change the rest of my post.

· Registered
28,587 Posts
not all stock shocks have them is what i meant(05/06 for example), though most do. i didn't realize this was in the 07/08 forum.

either way, the PO could have had the shock serviced at one point. the OP probably didn't remove it himself. if he did he's dumber than he was a moment ago when i thought he was just fiddling with shit that was out in the open.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts