Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 06 650r and have no idea what has been done to it. I noticed this plug next to the kickstand just hanging there that comes down from somewhere under the fuel tank. Anyone have any idea what it is? Bike seems to run fine so far but I haven't ridden it for a long period of time yet.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
106 Posts
Looks like o2 sensor plug. Do you have anything coming from the exhaust or is it just capped off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't see anything. I'm from the US and doesn't US bike not have exhaust sensor? Also there's a two brothers slip on and the stock doesn't have a bung on it either. I know nothing about bikes so hopefully that clears things up a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey man, I dont know much either but, try finding the source of the wire, see if its been cutted somewere. Just to get an idea of how far it travels will let you know where its supposted to go.

Have you tried turning on the bike, keeping the kickstand down and putting it in first gear?
If it cuts off then you can rule the kickstand swich out, if the engine keeps running then that might be the kickstand swich wiring meaning its failsafe has been removed.

Again im no mechanic but just throwibg some ideas out there, maby we hit the nail.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
106 Posts
Look for a hole/bung coming from the exhaust after the 2 pipes join, on these bikes it's usually in the link pipe (the slightly bent pipe connecting the down pipes and the muffler) If you have a Two brothers slip on I'd wager you might unknowingly also have a full system, as far as I recall the OEM exhaust is 1 piece so you can't technically get a slip on for it but don't quote me on this. Either way the O2 bung is not dependant on what country model it is since it's only purpose is to make the bike run right (albeit it's not very good at it). Either way, if it is the O2 sensor, which I believe it is if you have nothing coming from the exhaust anyway, then don't worry about it, it won't mess with the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it to the dealer and the service guy said it's capped off and probably used for diagnostics or something (not very helpful) but the bike runs fine so far so guess I'll just leave it be for now.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
106 Posts
Took it to the dealer and the service guy said it's capped off and probably used for diagnostics or something (not very helpful) but the bike runs fine so far so guess I'll just leave it be for now.
Dealer? And they didn't know what it was? Lol, I'd avoid them in that case, that is 90% the O2 sensor plug as it's a 4 pin plug, the only other cables that go down there is the kickstand kill switch (which is a 2 pin), the speedo sensor which goes around the front sprocket nut (obviously if your gauge shows speed then the mystery wire isn't that) and the gear position sensor which is a tiny 2 cable plug that goes on the inside of the front sprocket guard, usually when people replace the exhaust and don't put an O2 sensor in it they cap it off, I've done that too. The diagnostic port for these bikes is under the seat on the right hand side, they should know this as reading codes is probably the single most common thing they have to do...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer? And they didn't know what it was? Lol, I'd avoid them in that case, that is 90% the O2 sensor plug as it's a 4 pin plug, the only other cables that go down there is the kickstand kill switch (which is a 2 pin), the speedo sensor which goes around the front sprocket nut (obviously if your gauge shows speed then the mystery wire isn't that) and the gear position sensor which is a tiny 2 cable plug that goes on the inside of the front sprocket guard, usually when people replace the exhaust and don't put an O2 sensor in it they cap it off, I've done that too. The diagnostic port for these bikes is under the seat on the right hand side, they should know this as reading codes is probably the single most common thing they have to do...
Yea most likely never going there for anything lol. I read somewhere that not having it plugged in can make it run lean, does it do any harm in the long run or is it fine?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
106 Posts
Yea most likely never going there for anything lol. I read somewhere that not having it plugged in can make it run lean, does it do any harm in the long run or is it fine?
Well it can do but even if you have it plugged in, with an aftermarket exhaust u run the risk of running lean, as i said the o2 sensor is not very good at it's job and you can only fix it by taking it to a tuner and getting an AFR run and getting it tuned. Running lean will cause the motor to make less power, be less economical and run hotter, but just from an exhaust these effects are pretty small usually you will never wind up with a problem but it's worth the 50 bucks for a dyno run for peace of mind or just getting it tuned cos it will make the bike perform much much better than even stock besides just making it run right. If it makes you feel any better my ER6 did thousands of miles without a tune before i got it and it had an exhaust and filter in it and it's still doing just fine at 47k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts