Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just bought a used 2001 kawasaki zx-6r. I was riding it the other day and it died during the riding and would not start up, while trying to start it the gauge cluster would turn off. So i figured the battery was dead. I got a new battery, charged it and began to install it. Before reinstalling the seat and such i turned the bike on to make sure the connections were working fine, and they were. When i started to install the seat i realized the battery i purchased was larger than the stock battery, and nothing would fit, So i returned the battery after realizing i purchased the wrong battery, and purchased the correct one. I charged the correct sized battery and installed it. Then i put the key in the ignition and turned it into the "on" position, and when the gauges normaly turn on, they did not. Basicaly the bike appears to not be getting any power. What is going on?? The only thing i can think is that maybe the larger sized battery blew a fuse or something since i guess it was a higher voltage than the stock battery?? I am a newb so please steer me in the right direction, THANKS!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You may have blown a fuse before the first battery replacement. There is usually a big (30 amp) main fuse. I'd check that first. Consult your user's manual for it's location. Mine (on my 2006 ZZR600) is under the rider's seat. On my old bike (EX250) it was under the right side panel. Replace the fuse (there's probably even a spare in the fuse area) and try it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well unfortunatly i do not currently have and owner's manual or repair manual. There is a 30amp spare fuse in the fuse box near the battery, but i am unaware where the main fuse is located. Anyone know where it is located on this model?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the search and found a thread that said to follow the positive battery cable to the main fuse, replaced it with the extra fuse and everything works! KawiForums saves another noob. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.