Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what brand of oil everyone uses. I was using Golden Spectro 4 but am having a hard time getting it here now and have decided to go to something else. The guys at the bike shop talk really highly of Amsoil but it is $8 a quart. If it is as good as they say it is then it is well worth it, but, I can not help but wonder if they are just saying that to fatten their checks at the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Most of what is said about oil is just advertising hype. I use the Mobil 1 15W50 (car stuff) at about $4.50/qt because it fares well in most of the oil test. If you want a motorcycle specific oil the Mobil 1 4XT sells for about $8.00 qt and is available almost everywhere, including Autozone and sometimes Walmart.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use Amsoil full synthetic motorcycle oil. 10w40 to be exact also use Amsoil Filter along with it, The filters can trap smaller particles about 10 microns insead of the stock 25 micron filters, all this adds up to less scoring of cyclinder walls and longer lasting engine..... (so they claim) You can get amsoil at some dealers but it is a hard to find, my friend distributes it so i get it for about 40 bucks canadian for 4 litres and the filters are about $12.00/ cheaper than the OEM Kawi filter which is $18.00

off like a prom dress!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I also use the Amsoil, but I buy it straight from the main amsoil website. The main shopping page says that prices for US customers were raised as of Oct 1 '02, but the prices with shipping seem to be exactly the same as what I paid back in time.

The price including shipping for the 2 1/2 gallon bottle that I bought last time comes to $62.85 US, which is $6.29 per quart, alot less than the $8 per quart a couple of people have mentioned. Maybe the price is a bit higher if you put in a US address a little further down the line, but I don't need more oil anytime soon.

Oh, and there are alot of web sites that say that motorcycle oil isn't any better (in some cases worse) than regular everyday car oil. What really matters is how hard you push an engine. If you are just a commuter, damn near any oil will do fine. If you are a racer, then you need something that has a high temp thresh-hold, but oil change intervals don't matter since you change the oil between races anyway. If you are a stunter, then you are running your bike for extended periods with the engine being bone dry since the oil pump is picking up nothing but air. You need an oil with extreme presure protection.

But the main thing to watch out for if you use car oil is that you make sure that the oil you buy is not Energy Conserving. In other words, don't buy anything that ends in W30 or lower. 10W40, 15W40, 20W50 are all non-energy conserving.

Another thing that people are all screwed up about is what oil to buy when the air temps get high. That's not the way to go about it. You should change to a heavier oil when your oil temps go up because of your riding style, not because its 80 degrees outside when you start riding for the day.

BC.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
quote:
But the main thing to watch out for if you use car oil is that you make sure that the oil you buy is not Energy Conserving. In other words, don't buy anything that ends in W30 or lower.
This is inaccurate. For instance, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W-40 is certified as an "Energy Conserving" motor oil.

The number after the dash only indicates the ability of a multi-grade oil to protect the engine at operating temperature.

If you want a motor oil that does not have the "Energy Conserving" certification, simply make sure the label does not say so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone had any trouble with clutch slippage when using a full synthetic oil? I have read some articles warning of full synthetic oils with a wet clutch and was curious if anyone had yea's or na's on that one...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Synthetic oil will only make a clucth worse if it was already on its last legs. If the springs are weak, and not applying enough pressure, or if the friction plates are either worn or glazed over, synthetic oil will make it seem like its worse, but it will most likely just point out something you didn't know before hand.

Sometimes you can make an ajustment to the clutch lever, and everything's better. Other times its time to tear down the clutch, and replace the worn components. But I've never heard of a true case in which synthetic oil made a good clutch slip.

BC.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I use mobil 1 15w50. My brother's dad swears by it and runs it in his two R1s and his V-Max. So I trust him.

However, if your bike is under warranity be sure to use whatever the manual says. My friend ruined his marine engine and Honda told him it wasn't covered under warranity because he wasn't using Honda's oil. I'm not sure if Kawa would try that too.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
quote:
My friend ruined his marine engine and Honda told him it wasn't covered under warranity because he wasn't using Honda's oil. I'm not sure if Kawa would try that too.
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Honda or Kawasaki cannot condition their warranty with a motor oil identified by brand unless they provide it without charge.

Use the proper type and amount of any brand motor oil you like.

·
Registered
768 Posts
That tidbit of infomation comes about 7 years too late. =(

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interesting observations from this side of the pond. All the "authority" figures over here condemn the use of car oil in bikes, as it contains other ingredients, such as teflon (I believe) which has a severe effect on wet clutches i.e. they slip. Perhaps US oils are different in their make-up?

IMHO, I wouldn't consider using anything other than semi- or fully synth bike oil. Just a thought.:)

jb

Bringer of all things Joyful

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own 1998 ZX6R, it has 48,000 miles on it. I read an article in Motorcycle Consumer Reports that stated: Motorcycle oils are no different than Automobile oils. they are refined at the same plants, only the packaging is different. I have been using Castrol GTX 20-50 as recommened in the article and have had NO problems! with the miles I have ridden I have noticed no power loss, no clutch slippage,
my bike runs cool and I live in Florida. I also use automobile oil filters, the same filter made by Fram that fits a Mazda MX-3 will fit a 98' ZX6r. It is the exact same filter...at Wal-Mart it costs $2.50 and is painted orange, at the Kaw dealer it is black and costs $10.00! these filters are the same. on your Yahoo search engine type in "Fram motorcycle filters" see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I agree with you on the oil but the Fram filters are not the same as the filter you will get through Kawasaki. The Kawasaki filter is made by an outfit called Toyo Roki Mfg Co. You can even see the difference just by looking at them and I am not talking about the difference in color. The Kawasaki filter has an o-ring while the Fram has a square section seal.

I used to use Fram filter but since all the bad press they have received I no longer do. I use Kawasaki filter but get them from ronayers.com for $5.70.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Mobil 1 15W50 is awesome, so I try and use this whenever possible...

but to be honest if you change your oil everyone 3000 miles, and you don't ride like a total maniac 24 hours a day, then almost any car/cycle oil will be fine....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.