Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

What kind of oil do you put in your 05 06 ZX6R

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil is a very debatable topic and everyone is asking what oil to use. Anyone that picks Other - Feel free to post what kind you use.

·
Registered
763 Posts
how come Amsoil isnt on the list?

i havent ran it yet, but im picking up some Amsoil MCF 10w40 tomorrow to switch to synthetic... been running KawiChem so far with 3k miles on the bike

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by stylin97
how come Amsoil isnt on the list?

i havent ran it yet, but im picking up some Amsoil MCF 10w40 tomorrow to switch to synthetic... been running KawiChem so far with 3k miles on the bike
Number 8

·
Registered
438 Posts
I see no one has voted for castrol. Is ther something I should know about? I use castrol syntec blend 10w-40 I think about switching to the mobil 1 that everyones talking about!

·
Registered
342 Posts
2 different kawi service techs (ones a service manager) at 2 different locations told me that the oil thats used in these motors is a lower detergent level then regular oil and only kawi oil should be used, I even questioned them on it and told them I know people that use stuff like motul and mobile 1 and they both said the same thing, "there gonna screw up there tranny and clutch in the long run using that stuff" . So im always just gonna stick with Kawichem crap for now. Seems like I only hear about problems with these bikes from people that use different oil, and there always clutch problems or gear problems.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
Originally posted by CHRISZX6RR
2 different kawi service techs (ones a service manager) at 2 different locations told me that the oil thats used in these motors is a lower detergent level then regular oil and only kawi oil should be used, I even questioned them on it and told them I know people that use stuff like motul and mobile 1 and they both said the same thing, "there gonna screw up there tranny and clutch in the long run using that stuff" . So im always just gonna stick with Kawichem crap for now. Seems like I only hear about problems with these bikes from people that use different oil, and there always clutch problems or gear problems.
amen! i switched to roayl pruple synth. at 2500, changed it again it 5000. at 5065 i lot my tranny. 2nd and 3rd gear, gone. cost me 1600. i only use kawi chem now. never synth again in the 05/06. its very baddddd

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone have substantial mileage on theirs to see whether or not oils "actually" make a difference? I ran Castrol 5w-50 in my last bike ('91 VFR) from 20,000 to 46,000 miles with zero problems, and was using a Champ Mazda Miata Oil filter. No problems. Can't sell me on that oil messed up my trans bullcrap the dealer wants you to believe. I think it's unfortunate that Kawi has always had a weaker trans than most.

·
Registered
640 Posts
so what are you gonna use sam? I used the stuff they gave me a ron ayres for my first one and now i have repsol in it and K&N filter. Seems fine to me but what do i know[B)]

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by lance0206
I see no one has voted for castrol. Is ther something I should know about? I use castrol syntec blend 10w-40 I think about switching to the mobil 1 that everyones talking about!
Nothing wrong with Castrol...I use it in my truck and have the oil analyzed and it always comes out good..no reason it won't do good in a bike. ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was told to run only KawiChem in my bike aswell. I will intend to use it because it is FREE! Although I do like to use Mobil 1 in my car's! I think its the best oil!

But I think its somewhat true about using kawichem in the bikes, my buddy used synthetic oil in his bike and he has already replaced his shift forks and gear dogs!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Synthetic's viscosity can make it so easy that banging shifts is no longer required, which can then cause an owner to harm his transmission. The oil itself is not capable of harming anything short of accelerating a leak.

Ryan, this 636 is getting 10,000 miles of Motul non synthetic, and then a switch to Motul 10/40 syn. I'm looking for a Bosch filter number that will fit the bike, I think the rx7 filter is the key; correct bypass pressure, compact enough to clear everything and it's a Bosch so you KNOW it will do its job.

Just found out that it runs the Bosch 3300, or 3310. This is also Champ/Powerflo PH2867, or Wal Mart Super Tech ST6607. All of the above filters are made by Bosch.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use Repsol Race full synthetic, after I switch to full synthetic I the bike felt smoother. When you switch gears is more quieter. The oil Rocks

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks like kawichem is winning. [:M99]

·
Registered
640 Posts
Originally posted by wyldemannn
Synthetic's viscosity can make it so easy that banging shifts is no longer required, which can then cause an owner to harm his transmission. The oil itself is not capable of harming anything short of accelerating a leak.

Ryan, this 636 is getting 10,000 miles of Motul non synthetic, and then a switch to Motul 10/40 syn. I'm looking for a Bosch filter number that will fit the bike, I think the rx7 filter is the key; correct bypass pressure, compact enough to clear everything and it's a Bosch so you KNOW it will do its job.

Just found out that it runs the Bosch 3300, or 3310. This is also Champ/Powerflo PH2867, or Wal Mart Super Tech ST6607. All of the above filters are made by Bosch.
quoting this bc sam knows his stuff.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you are using synthetic, can you use regular oil just to store the bike in the winter time?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts