Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
A cable that will work WITH your disk lock is the best combination and will meet 90% of your locking needs - in a real hurry, just the disk lock (in combination with sensible parking) should to the trick. For longer periods, or when the bike is not in sight, a THICK cable to an immovable object is the way to go (don't lock to anything the cable can be lifted over). In combination with a paging alarm or LoJack, this is about all you can do, short of a locked garage (and it's not a bad idea to lock it up in the garage as well - I do).

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I lock mine in the garage as well.... with the 6e I just locked the fork, but now I lock the fork and throw the xena disc alarm on the 9r. I want to get the scorpio key chain alarm and then just never go more than a few hundred feet away from my bike when I am out with it.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
disk lock, cable lock both kryptonite, get a paging alarm, and put the bike in vision where you can check it ever 30-1hr.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
rockstar - I have the scorpio - you'll like it.

I think the best security is a layered approach, using multiple, overlapping measures. Paranoid? maybe... but bike thefts are through the roof, and the harder I make it, the more likely the rat-f*ck bastards will move on to some other, less strongly secured bike.

I also park on the sidewalk outside whatever establishment I'm patronizing. This does several things -

1- it keeps the bike in a highly visible, well trafficked spot where it is difficult or impossible to back a truck up to it.

2- it keeps the bike in range of my scorpio pager alarm (which can be greatly reduced when you're indoors).

3- it keeps some yahoo cager on their cellphone from flattening the bike in a parking spot they think is empty until it's too late to stop.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Is it legal to park your bike on the sidewalk? How do you get it up the curb? I'd be afraid of some dick pushing it over or messing with it cause I parked where everyone is walking. Maybe I'm missunderstanding something.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
why not trust cable locks? if you get one of the large cryptonight locks, you should be ok with your bike wraped around a pole or some other stable object.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
99 - technically it's not legal, but if you put it close to the building, out of the main pedestrian stream of traffic, and DON'T BLOCK ANY ACCESS OR EGRESS DOORS, most places don't care. Last weekend I put my 9r in front of a strip mall restaurant window (close, but not TOO close) while I ate inside. A bunch of cops were eating there; when they left they all congrgated around the bike. For a second, I was worried they'd write me up. But it soon became obvious that they were admiring the bike, and they went on their merry way (next stop, Dunkin Donuts?).

At the movie theater I never have to fight for parking, it's under cover, and cable-locked to a 18" concrete column while I enjoy the flick.

Most curbs are easy enough to get past, but handicap access ramps are the major godsend to bikers, lol. JUST DON'T BLOCK THEM. Our group has gone to places where we've parked a dozen bikes (nose-to-tail) along the sidewalk.

If you act like you are allowed to do it, no one questions it, usually. And a $20 parking ticket is MUCH better than finging your bike on its side in a parking lot.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
SCORPIO all the way....who wants to carry around a frickin big ass cable lock all the time? That's why I got theft insurance....yeah it would suck to have it stolen after all the work I put into it, but I'll just get another one and have a new project!![8D]

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont want to put an paging alarm on it. I only use it when I go to school so I will have a backpack. There is a guy with a 03-04 green zx6r at my school with a chain lock and he keeps the chain under the seat cowl.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
the only chain worth putting on a bike is the heaviest dutty lock there is and thats the kryptonite 2gage wire lock, i dont think it will fit under the cowl, if it will, tell me now so i can go buy it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.