Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what others are getting after jetting.

My setup:
BMC air pods, factory air box removed, M4 slipon, Factory Pro 112 mains, clip on 3rd slot from top (no washers),mix screws 2.75 out.

I guess I'm avg about 180 miles to a tank now. Seems a little drastic, but I guess the 112's are thirsty. :)

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
I've been averaging between 54-57mpg. I'll go up to about 225 miles on a tank, but prefer to fill up around 200 miles :p I'm running the 112's myself

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
your mileage will vary greatly depending on how hard the nut that connects the handlebars and seat is cranked. :p

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm running Dyno Jet 100 3 turns out with a K&N filter and an interesting exhaust. It's noticeably less mileage wise probably around 235 or so a tank riding 55 mph.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wow, with a stock jetting I'm averaging roughly 385km (240miles) per tank with a 15L fill (3.95G US). I just put a 41 tooth rear on 2 days ago, so I'm anxious to see how much more I can get out of a tank. I don't think I'll be re-jetting this bike. But might add a washer to the needles and take out the snorkel for a little more umph.

I'd like to see someone's mileage after just a needle shim and see what a difference that makes. Because If I can just shim, and still get over 400km a tank...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Wow, with a stock jetting I'm averaging roughly 385km (240miles) per tank with a 15L fill (3.95G US). I just put a 41 tooth rear on 2 days ago, so I'm anxious to see how much more I can get out of a tank. I don't think I'll be re-jetting this bike. But might add a washer to the needles and take out the snorkel for a little more umph.

I'd like to see someone's mileage after just a needle shim and see what a difference that makes. Because If I can just shim, and still get over 400km a tank...
technically, shimming the needles can be considered rejetting.

My best advice is to shim the needles and yank the snorkel and see for yourself. if the gas consumption goes up to an unacceptable level, put the parts back. Everything is a trade off.

·
Registered
389 Posts
technically, shimming the needles can be considered rejetting.

My best advice is to shim the needles and yank the snorkel and see for yourself. if the gas consumption goes up to an unacceptable level, put the parts back. Everything is a trade off.
I still don't understand they way these bike cabs work... I'm so use to car carbs. Because technically, the job of the carburettor is to mix fuel with air. The more air passing through the ventury, an equal amount of gas should be mixed with it to maintain the set air/fuel ratio regardless.

The only thing I can think of, having never taken a bike carb apart, is that A/F ratio is controlled by vacuum, and that having the snorkel out reduces vacuum pressures causing the throttle to run slightly more closed creating leaner mixture or something like that.

Sorry, that's off topic... no more form me.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I still don't understand they way these bike cabs work... I'm so use to car carbs. Because technically, the job of the carburettor is to mix fuel with air. The more air passing through the ventury, an equal amount of gas should be mixed with it to maintain the set air/fuel ratio regardless.

The only thing I can think of, having never taken a bike carb apart, is that A/F ratio is controlled by vacuum, and that having the snorkel out reduces vacuum pressures causing the throttle to run slightly more closed creating leaner mixture or something like that.

Sorry, that's off topic... no more form me.
think of the carb as a hole with the gas passing through it. The needle slides right down into the hole. The needle is tapered so the farther it is in the hole, the more gas it blocks from coming out of that hole. By raising the needles with the washers, you raise the needle just a little in the hole and because the needle is tapered, more gas is allowed to flow.

The main jet determines how much gas flows through that hole.

Removing the snorkel simply allows more air to flow into the air box without restriction, allowing more air to flow through the engine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm running Dyno Jet 100 3 turns out with a K&N filter and an interesting exhaust. It's noticeably less mileage wise probably around 235 or so a tank riding 55 mph.
I can't go 55!

·
Registered
90 Posts
yeah i have mine jetted with the areap exhaust and i probably get around 45 mpg or a little lower. I beat on it though and always speed so it would be much higher otherwise. its way better then my car so i could care less. whats the point of having a bike if your gonna putt around all day?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
have you actually calculated your mpg instead of going by what your gas gauge reads?
Was actually kind of averaging/guessing on the original post. Just ran through my tank today and here are the results. When I filled it up a few days ago, the pump said 3.5 gallons and trip meter said 172 = 49mpg.
So not as bad as I initially thought.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Was actually kind of averaging/guessing on the original post. Just ran through my tank today and here are the results. When I filled it up a few days ago, the pump said 3.5 gallons and trip meter said 172 = 49mpg.
So not as bad as I initially thought.
try keeping track this way and be sure to fill to the same spot every time you fill the tank to get accurate comparisons.

If you go by how many miles you get per tank, that leaves way too much to error.

·
Registered
226 Posts
around 50mpg before new intake and rejet.

now I run 112 and it's way worse, but don't know exactly how much yet.

I'm 155lbs and 5'8" pushing it all the time :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Holy thread revival. HAHA

Funny after shimming the needles on my new bike, my MPG actually increased from about 52 to just over 60 US.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When do you guys fill up? When the tank is completely empty?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts