Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought a 1996 ZX6 with 3,000 miles and supposedly rebuilt carbs and everything. My question is first, the guy i bought it from said he ran premium since he had bought it (wasnt the original owner) and so i filled it with premium. Well, the bike has a little bit of a hesitation problem when holding the same rpm for a while, like cruising at 5000 rpm, the bike will load up a little bit, then clear out, then load up.... etc... if i punch it when its loading up it has to clear out and then it goes like normal. So I'm wondering if using the 93 octane is perhaps hurting more than doing good? I've heared that running a higer octane than recommended can actually do things like that... And I don't have the manual around to look up the recommendation.

I'm planning on also adding some sea foam to see if that helps too....

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
We have a different octane rating system in Australia to you guys, but I know that my ZZR-600 (ZX-6E) ran perfectly on standard unleaded. I never used premium in it at all - never needed to.

The same went for my '95 ZX-6R.

Having said that, your problem sounds more like the carbs need cleaning, rather than a fuel octane problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yea Nige is right, i use Premium in my 96, its like 98 percent octane, but the bike runs too richly on it...

you sound like you need someone to balance your carbs and or the air fule mixture and delivery.

·
Registered
474 Posts
98 PERCENT?? thats not what the Octane number measures... but anyway....

I believe Kawi calls for 86 or 87 Octane rating, using the R+M/2 method, which is pretty much the standard in the states.. Many foreign countries will only use the RON number (or is it MON?)...

Using a higher octane fuel has no advantages and 2 obvious disadvantages... 1) you are paying too much for gas and 2) you arent getting the most out of your engine.

I'm leaning towards carb sync issues... If you are holding the throttle steady and the bike is jumping around in RPMs it probably isnt a jetting issue. Also check to make sure all the vacuum lines, etc are connected properly. Check the fuel filter to make sure its not clogged as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Personally i run 93 at all times. With the compression being high and the displacement being so small its better to run fuel wiht higher octane so it burns cleaner. The times i have run 87 or 89 it just seems to be coughing and lags quite a bit. Right now i have VP 116 from the race track and it is running rich but damn fast. (NOTE: I have a 95 zx6r not a zx6 like spinktodo)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.