Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Oil are you guys running???

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  rtcpenguin 
#1 ·
I have a 96' ZX6R and i'm pretty much due for an oil change. This bike is my first bike and needless to say my first oil change. What is the best oil and filter combo for this bike? Is this something that I can do myself or should I take it to the bike shop? If so how much should I expect to dish out for the service? Thanks for the advice guys, always appreciated....

#3 ·
I use a kawasaki filter and amsoil religiously every 2k miles or so. This is my second bike to use amsoil in and I am very pleased with the past results. Even if you choose to use a different brand I highly recommend a good synthetic. As far as ease most people with even minor mechanical abilities can do an oil change themselves quite easily. I recommend buying a good oil filter wrench to make your life easier if you choose to do it yourself. Other than that you need just 1 wrench or socket (mine is a 17mm not sure about the size of your drain plug but it is probably the same or close) and an oil drain pan you can buy at any parts store for under $10. You can save a lot of money doing it yourself and invest it in a high quality oil instead of paying labor. Just my 2 cents..............

#6 ·
Yeah I forgot that k&n filters have a nut on the top. it makes removal a lot easier. I still havent bought a filter wrench for mine I just use a massive pair of channel-locks that I have. Its messy but I always forget to get a wrench when Im at the dealer...........

#7 ·
Originally posted by pmkls1
Yeah I forgot that k&n filters have a nut on the top. it makes removal a lot easier. I still havent bought a filter wrench for mine I just use a massive pair of channel-locks that I have. Its messy but I always forget to get a wrench when Im at the dealer...........
It's not like you are going to reuse the filter :D Whatever works man.

#8 ·
Its just plain messy as I usually puncture the filter and oil runs all over and i get it all over my hand when I take it off. Other than that it makes no diff. I just dont like to get too greasy anymore cuz I gotta work on my bike at my storage unit now that im not a mechanic anymore and I dont have access to a sink there so its hard to clean my hands and then ride the bike home without getting crap on my grips.

#17 ·
Currently using a Kawi filter with 20W50 KawiChem oil. When I do my 4000 mile service and oil change I'm going to switch over to a K&N oil filter. I like the idea of the nut on the end of the filter. Also I will be switching to a Magnetic drain plug for a little more added protection from small particals of metal in the oil.

http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Motorcycle_Drain_Plugs/MP01.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.