Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put in stuff called golden spectro 4. synthetic and petroleum. cost me 16 bucks for 4 liters. Anybody had exp. w/ this oil? what r u using?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Spectro is quite good, its what I got in my bike right now and it has a very positive feel on the transmission, that's for sure.

Normaly I use Mobil 1 15w-50 which I find quite a bit smoother on the tranny not to mention half the price of any motorcycle synthetic out there.

The truth is out there...
...its just a matter of knowing where to look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just put Mobil 1 Synthetic in 15W50, and took it right back out. Running 10 40 my tranny was a smooth as any I had ever ridden after about 2500 km. at 3500km I tried 15w40 and my shift action went to hell. Clutch was properly adjusted and it still had way to much clutch drag ( jumped going into first, just like a honda !) It was noticable right away that the shift springs were now a touch on the light side and took extra concentration to shift, don't get me wrong it was still not the worst shift action probably acceptable a few years ago but none the less not as good as it was. Then there was the power it robbed, I could definitly feel a serious difference in how quickly the engine revved, No more third gear corner exit wheelies and an overall boggy feeling. It also ran 5 - 8 drgrees hotter than it did before, I was seeing 110 degrees Celcius regularly. Dumped it out today and went back to 10w40 and it is right back to being an awsome shifting quick revving bike that I had before. The temperature was also back to where it was before have not seen over 100 degrees. I think the extra effort it takes to pump the heavier oil generated more heat, it also took more of the engines power to turn the oil pump. Plus mabey the thicker oil slowed the spinning components.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't know, my Kawasaki mechanic puts whatever he wants. Anyway, I know it's 100% sinthetic, and good. I told him to put the best on it, so it's certainly good. Maybe Shell Advance...

- Wilder than the wildest dreams!

·
Registered
545 Posts
What about Amsoil [?].... is it as good as Mobil 1 synthetic ?

I've heard a few people hyping this as the best (like MX racers and snowmibile racers) and I know a bunch of people use it here.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use Mobil MX4 and I don't care that it cost $5 a quart and that I could use regular car oil with no problem.

You don't have to be faster then the bear, just faster then your friend.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by sully

I just put Mobil 1 Synthetic in 15W50, and took it right back out. Running 10 40 my tranny was a smooth as any I had ever ridden after about 2500 km. at 3500km I tried 15w40 and my shift action went to hell. Clutch was properly adjusted and it still had way to much clutch drag ( jumped going into first, just like a honda !) It was noticable right away that the shift springs were now a touch on the light side and took extra concentration to shift, don't get me wrong it was still not the worst shift action probably acceptable a few years ago but none the less not as good as it was. Then there was the power it robbed, I could definitly feel a serious difference in how quickly the engine revved, No more third gear corner exit wheelies and an overall boggy feeling. It also ran 5 - 8 drgrees hotter than it did before, I was seeing 110 degrees Celcius regularly. Dumped it out today and went back to 10w40 and it is right back to being an awsome shifting quick revving bike that I had before. The temperature was also back to where it was before have not seen over 100 degrees. I think the extra effort it takes to pump the heavier oil generated more heat, it also took more of the engines power to turn the oil pump. Plus mabey the thicker oil slowed the spinning components.
You are the first person I've heard that was not happy with the Mobil 1. You mentioned you put it in and then took it out. But then you said you hd wproblems when using 15w40. The mobil 1 stuff is 15w50...was it just a typo... PLs clarify if it was the 15w50 that you hated so much. It wasn't overfilled was it???

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i used that r4 motor bike oil once. ran good but the price is way too much.

"I love ninjas with every part of my body, including my pee pee."

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by Liambane

I use Mobil MX4 and I don't care that it cost $5 a quart and that I could use regular car oil with no problem.
My thoughts exactly! I just switched to Mobil 1 MX4T. screw cost, my baby is worth it.

Now how many miles are people putting on their synth oil?

-Jack
'03 636 black

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by Grunt_99

You are the first person I've heard that was not happy with the Mobil 1. You mentioned you put it in and then took it out. But then you said you hd wproblems when using 15w40. The mobil 1 stuff is 15w50...was it just a typo... PLs clarify if it was the 15w50 that you hated so much. It wasn't overfilled was it???
Yeah that was a typo 15W50. The bike didn't vibrate as much but I could definitly feel it taking away from the power, and adding clutch drag. Anybody else that runs it, does your bike jump going into 1st gear from neutral?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.