Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any input or recommendations for a brand and color of black paint that matches a 2009 250r. The previous owner dumped the bike and painted the left fairing with a semi gloss finish, and does not match the rest of the bike. Anyone have any experience or recommendations?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping for recommendations for just a paint so I could avoid having to spend that kind of money on a whole new fairing kit so i can just do a bit of bodywork and paint

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
I went all out on my trackbike and used dupont automotive paint to air gun on my race fairings... Sure, it was good quality but i spent like 300 bucks for it and clear (It was only a pint of paint and clear)...

I recommend going to an autobody shop and matching the paint and trying to get the cheapest auto paint you can get..

A guy at the track bought a GALLON of cheap auto paint online for 100 bucks and it looks good after he airgunned it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I may either buy that Kawasaki paint that Strider mentioned, or I might just try and find some black metallic paint to try and match it up... As for prep I just simply sand, prime, and paint I am assuming?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You shouldn't need to prime if you are painting over the original paint which you have sanded a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have found that it is not worth the effort to go through painting fairings. just try to find a cheap used fairing on a used parts website or just resort to ebay . it will take some searching, but in the end its just easier and you get a better end result.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
www.colorrite.com has exact color matching paints. You can order a rattle can, quart, or gallon. A quart is enough to paint an entire bike at least two coats, just for reference. Sounds like a can or two will do what you need. I plan to hit up www.eastwood.com for a gallon of paint for my next project. Quality automotive paint cheaper than colorrite, but I'll have to do the entire bike since they don't do factory color matched stuff like colorrite does. No biggie. I want a custom look.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts