Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shock in my 99 ZX6R is pretty rusty and bouncy.

I'll be replacing and repairing pretty much everything this winter, and want to know which shocks from other models will fit, and with what modifications are necessary.

Thanks in advance. This is my first post here after lurking for a bit. :)

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I have a spare shock if you want it...$5 should cover beer to drink while I box it and its probably $10-12 to ship.

Otherwise:
I have twice installed a 2005/06 636 rear shock. If you also get the linkage it bolts right on....though you need to adjust the upper mount to compensate for the shock being 1/8" shorter.

if you do not get the linkage, the lower shackle on the 636 shock needs to be machined out as its narrower than the 98-02 version.

I run this on the track and street. Its less harsh on bumps, but has good control as well. A nice upgrade for $75 or so.

The similar vintage zx7/9 shock probably fits..but they are all KYB stuff. You'd want to make sure the spring doesn't get any stiffer....the stock zx6r spring is good for about a 190# rider

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome thanks.

so an 05/06 shock will mount right up, as long as i get the linkage.

I'll assume then, also the 00-02? Is the linkage the same for 98-99/00-02. They look almost identical unless my picture is wrong :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts