Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
7,199 Posts
I don't live in Montana, but the speed limit at night is "safe and reasonable" speed. At night I don't know what it is.

So people drive 100 MPH and above. Now, to a cop or state trooper a car is safer than a bike, so you probably couldn't ride a bike as fast as you could drive a car there.

Also a person with out of state plates would not have the same leniency as a Montana resident, as the visitor would not be "safely acclimated to higher speeds" the same way a resident would.

In California speed limits vary from 50-70. I think some stretches of Highway 5 (Runs the entire length of the State, pretty straight and mostly very rural between major cities) is a a 75 limit. Here you can do between 5-10 miles above the limit, usually no problems.

The main thing here they look for is flow of traffic. Now if the whole freeway is doing 40 and you are going 65 and the limit is 55, you'd get a ticket. But if the limit was 55 and everyone was going 75, you'd probably not get a ticket. Other things they look for here are tailgating, sporatic lane changing, fluctuations in speed, weather conditions, traffic amounts, road conditions, etc. Those most likely would draw more attention from cops than would goign slightly over the limit.

Now on open roads, most of us drive and ride 80-90 MPH or more.

-Flash

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.