232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys oh and of course ladies

ive had my ZX6R for 2 months now and before i get a new tail unit
i still have to buy:

a set of Avon storm tyer's

a set of yokes made up to take my R1 forks

and pay for my head light couling

i thought i wanted a GSXR tail (not a Strad)

but the more i look at the bike the more i think that it would make the bike look like a GSXR streetfighter and if i wanted to do that i would have bought a GSXR.

i then thought i realy love the look of the Z750 /Z1000
but then how unimagenative, no offence to people on this site who have already done this but i have only seen this done on the faired bikes on this site.

so if people wana through a few ideas and mabey a few pic's id be greatful

(i havent managed to gat any pics of my bike with out the fairing yet

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i would like to go for somthing like one of these

but bearing inmind i have to keep it a 2 seater as i don't have a car licence and i don't think the missis woul be to happy if i told her to walk

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
here is a suggestion, what about you building your own subframe? lookat a seat syle like the sucati monster or the buell xb12. if you can work out way to mount the buell subframe on your frame (not a bolt on , will require fab work) , you can use the buell seat, tail light etc. i think it will look cool. you also have options like the speed triple rear end, BMWk1200R/S. personally i think making your own subframe would be the way to go. for starters, pick a seat that you want to you and build your subframe around it. just my 2cents. will look forward to how your bike turns out. i am sure Luxuryliquidator and burplezx6r will be able to give you excellent advise on this!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Of the 2 pics you posted, I think the first would flow the best with the headlight you have. The second has too many curving lines going on. Both of those will require some serious $, of course you're already in the UK so you can get them a lot easier than us stateside.

An 05/06 R1 tail would look good, and give you an undertail option. I'll warn you though it would be tricky to fab a subframe for one of those, yamaha didn't leave much room in there. It would still give you the 2-seater option. If you want to keep the 2-seater option you may have to just use a tail off another bike, I've yet to see an aftermarket tail that allows for a pilon.

How are you going about getting your yokw work done? Where do you go for that sort of work? Do you have to give them the whole frame to work with? What exactly do you need to replace for it to take the new forks/triples? I'd like to do a front end swap on my next project, so any tips on how to go about it that you can offer I'd appreciate.

Hey, while I'm asking questions, what are you planning on doing with your RAM intakes? I found that if you run without them the bike will bog out at around 90mph (whatever that is in clicks), it made the bike run real rich. Do you have some sort of aftermarket RAM scoop that you can get over there? I'm in the process of fab'ing my own but its painstaking.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you'd be suprised what you can get in the states

most after market streetfighter stuff in uk is available inthe states before we get it

for instance the headlight i stole the idea from

http://www.angryguystreetfighters.com/index.htm

but i have a guy who has offered to make me what i want £150 per item
in carbonfiber aslong as i do promo for him when i take the bike to shows when its finished.

the yokes

you need to find a good engineer (sorry cant spell to save my life)

get a bottom yoke that would fit your bike that you dont mind fucking up and 2 peices of buillet aluminume

remove the stem from the bottom yoke

once the engineer has made the yoks

you will need to heat the new bottom yoke right up

and cool the stem right down

now make sure you get the engineer to fit them both together

as the stem is steel it can quite easly damage the aliminum

this needs to be done very carefuly in a vertical press in a jig

once this has been done you will probably need to drill a hole and add a large grub screw to make sure the yokes don't come apart

bearing in mind the yokes will be clamped on to the forks as well through the head stock

i have never done this before myself

but if you want a more detailed way of doing this as my discription is quite vague

then ill get blackjacks email address for you

i go up there on satadays to lern about building chops and modifing bikes

he will know what to do and has a large fan base in canada

he might know someone in canada or america who knows someone near you who can help you

heres a site of old stuff he's made

http://www.thefont.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bikes/index.htm

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow, thats a very helpful website for me man, seeing as I intend on building my own bikes (not choppers though) when I can get a garage/shop setup.

On your instructions though, just a few things to clear up so I'm with ya here. By "yoke" you`re talking the triple clamps right? Basicly what you're doing then is the stock stem out of your bike, and just putting new triple clamps (yokes) on it? If you are, say, putting a set of R1 forks on a ZX6R, could you possibly just take a set of triples (yokes) made for the R1, and modify/machine them to fit a ZX6R stem? Or is the best route just to have whole new triples (yokes) machined?

I'm not with you on the heating and cooling though, could you elaborate?

If you know of any more websites like that one that give a how-to that I could look through I'd be appreciative.

Sorry if I've led you completly off topic[8D]

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
I make no intention of hiding the fact that i love the new blades and to be totally honest i think either the new blade back end or that of the ducati 999 would both suit and look nice on either faired or street fighter ZX6R. If your going to be doing the front how you want it then using them as a base for a tail could be good.

Russ

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its to tricky to remove the stem from (R1) yokes and push a zx6 stem in
the reason is because the stems are usealy diffrent widths

interferance fit

you heat up the the yoke to expand the stem hole

and you cool down the stem to shrink it

then you need to press them together

the tempritures will level off causing a tighter fit

then you need the grub screw

is that ok

im not sure of any more how to sites but i have signed up to

www.chopperbuilder.co.uk

blackjack and don (the guys i know) alot of builder in the UK use it
best place you could look. they mainly build chops but is a streetfighter section to

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice one deathace you just gave me the sexest idea

i was having a ride on my lonesum and i stop at some traficlights
and some guy and his mate pulls up on the new R6

i remember thinking the tail was absolutly gorgeous

heres a couple of pics i think the white and red one looks best

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just a heads up if you go with the R6 (which would be a good choise), I've heard they use a cast metal subframe, so it'd be difficult to modify to fit the ZX6R. And if you make your own subframe, I know there is NOT much room in those skinny little tails, so you may have to get pretty creative with how you built it. Not imposible by any means, just wanted to give you a heads up on what you might run into. I always hate unexpected delays when I'm working on my bike.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man

yeah i totaly know what you mean but you gota admit once you get through the dificult bits the reward is so much bigger dont you think.

shouldn't be to much of a problem, I go up blackjacks (custom bike fabrication workshop) every sataday they uesualy give me a hand.

ill put some pis of my bike up soon i haven't done much but hopefuly if i sell all the bits ive taken off i should be able to get a set of new tyers and hopefuly get some custom yokes to take my R1 forks.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
hey Mantus, if you are able to get some custom yokes built for your bike, get a pair done for me too, tell me how much is it going to cost, i am very much interested!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
off the top of my head over here there probably about £150 - £200
it will be much cheaper to get them over there try ringing OCC
they have a flow jet cut a set of yokes out in minutes + you should be able to get away with a more extravigant design

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have finaly got round to taking some pics of my bike in progress
so here they are[:M50]

·
Registered
464 Posts
Classic euro fighter, got the big ole longhorn bars:D I'll probably go with dragbars on my next project, but most likey I'll try to keep them shorter than what you've got;)

Looks good, just gotta get that new tail on!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah i like long bars cause i find it makes it easer to throw the bike around.

i'd love to get that tail on but i need tyers (hopefuly my brother's buying me a pair) £150 couling as above turning up start of febuary £150 and yokes which i have found out are gona set me back about £200-£300 as the price of aliminum has shot up the block of ali is gona cost £60-£70 on its own then youve got the machining man hours to pay for

so it may take me 6-7 months to get the tail done but ill less my left testical if i have to just to get it done
(i dont want kids so i don't really need either of them exsept for the testosterone)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.