Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Canada eh, well in Thunder Bay, the temp is down to 3 degrees Celcius. I am still riding even though it is a tad chilly and you have to warm up your hands on your engine at the stop lights. I find that it takes about 15min of riding for the tires to really grip at all. Should I maybe start calling it quits? I wanted to hit 2500km this year and only have about 75km to go.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Anything below 40 F. I'm done for the season (NY). I get my front and rear stands Wednessday and will be winterizing my bike. I plan on changing the oil (cheapest I can find), filter, put stabil in full tank, stands to keep all wheels off the floor, taking battery off and covering the bike even though it's in the garage. It's going to be a sad day :(

·
Registered
550 Posts
Whenever you get uncomfortable - some people ride year 'round. My uncle used to live in Alaska and the only vehicle he had was his HD. Rain, snow, whatever, he still had to ride it to work. Me, I can't take much below 50° F.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Almost never gets too cold to ride here; usually the opposite - sitting at a light in full gear in 95* weather with engine heat roasting your thighs kinda sucks. Not conducive to wearing all the best gear either (mesh replaces leather for much of the year).

But as to what you're asking; you're right to be concerned; at a certain point, your tires will just not attain "gripping" temperature. Time to call it quits or risk sliding around (with the expected, unpleasant results).

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
also when your hands go so numb that you cant feel the controls. but ya tires are key.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I'm sure it's different for each tire but anyone know at what temperature they start losing their grip?

I've gotta ride my bike home in December and it's probably going to be around 40 degrees when I make the trip. I'm not worried about me (heated gear) but I am worried about my tires.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
trig. i rode this morning as well man. the people commented about my nipples for 30 min. in hindsite. i should have put the liner in my jacket.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I rode today to school it was around 30 degrees...dark...then it began to flurry once I got to school.

Ill ride all year round unless theres ice or snow. -- I live in Cincinnati Ohio

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its between 35 and 37 degrees Farenheit for you "mericans" up here. I find that the tires don't grip great, but as long as I warm em up a little bit with some heavy braking they won't completely skid out from under me. Cornering i am taking her easy nothing to crazy. Obviously no knee dragging. Just feel sad having to put her away:(

·
Registered
668 Posts
i rode during snow yesterday... (i ride at a high school out of city limits). it was snow flurries and it wasnt sticking but the pavement was still wet. unloaded the bike and proceeded to try and cut some seat stander circles until i highsided and got flung off...landing on my bike with the handlebars going into my ribs. i hate spin up. got to be real god on the clutch slip to get it up without slipping.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
i ride everyday without fail....wait, not on days that it's raining and freezing...which is like one day throughout the whole winter here:D Florida good: Year-long bike weather. Florida bad: Lack of twisties

G

·
with the heat and humidity down here during the summer i wouldnt even call it year round riding weather

im glad we're getting into the lower temperatures now

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't do longer trips ( highways ) if it's below 55 F, and don't ride at all if it's below 45 F. Today was around 55 F, it wasn't too bad, rode for 2 hours or so around town. But definately don't lean as much cause of cold tires & pavement.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
35* and I went out yesterday, unfortunatly the line between wearing enough clothing to keep warm and being able to move is right at about 35* for me..

·
Registered
536 Posts
You guys are crazy...someone or something pulls out infront of you kiss you ass goodbye...be safe and ride next season. Dont be stupid. Unless you buy some snow tires.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.