Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so just out of curiosity, what tire is everybody here running on there bikes?? i'm currently using Metzler Sportec M1's (formerly ran dunlop 207's). like the metzlers a lot better, more sticky and much faster warm up. does anyone in here have the michelin sports.. if so, thoughts on the.?.

billy m.
1998 ZX6R
WTF is a Gixxer?

·
Registered
182 Posts
i recently had to replace my back tire due to a slow leak from a nail and i replaced it with another dunlop 207 because my shop guy told me that you want the same tires on there so you have the same tread.... well i got the new tire but when i eventually replace them again what would be a nice tire???? pirelli dragon any good?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It depends on the type of riding you do. In my oipinion and this is my opinion only, the D207 is yesterdays news. grip is not that good and turn in is slow.

I would rate the tires in the following order:

If you want the ultimate tire when it comes to grip and if you mostly do canyon carving and are an agressive rider go with the Metzler rensports. you can't beat that tire whe it comes to high performance street/track day riding.

If you want good grip and great mileage go with the bridgestone BT010. The tire turns in great and in the mileage department, it's the best performance tire i've tried.

If you want something in between, go with the metzeler sportecs M1's. the are extremely gripy but mileage is not as good as the BT010's but they are not as pricey as the rennsports. I have set on now and they have 1600 miles and they are GONE.

I don't really like the michelin sports but other people love them. Basically try diferent tires out and stay with the ones you trust the most.

Also, if you only do straight line riding, go with a high mileage tire like the BT020's or the macadam.

hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
BTW, the best source for tires is:

http://swmototires.com/

The are in NM so if you are in any other state you don't pay tax and if you buy a set, shipping is free.

example:

Bridgestone BT-010 120/65ZR-17 Front
Code: BAX-1002
Price: $86.95

Bridgestone BT-010 180/55ZR-17 Rear
Code: BAX-1053
Price: $108.95

TOTAL: $195.90 to your door!!

No shipping if you buy the set and no tax AAND the tires come in box.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I ran the stock D207, I had no complaints about them but I went with the BT010's for the replacement.

The BT010 are a great deal and great tire, It has great feedback and feels more stable then the D207 did (and I had no complaints about them)

Dennis Kirk will beat any advertised price by $1 (they include shipping in their final price) I know its only a $1 but they have great Customer Service and they always have them in stock. I got my tires for 180 shipped to my door, I ordered them and TWO DAYS later the tires were at my door.

I found a shop in LIC that will mount and balance a tire for $35 a tire - WHILE YOU WAIT.. I drove my tires there and dropped them off, then rode my bike and they did the change within an hour.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I thought Dunlop stoped making the 207's and have up graded to new 208's
I read a write-up on them and they said the 208's are much better than the 207's

mario

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My old 99 came stock with BT56's. I was happy with those, so I stayed with Bridgestone when I replaced em but got the 010's after all the great press I read about 'em. Although I only had them for a little while, they were great. My 02 6r came stock with 207's. While they're a decent tire, I'd prefer to have Bridgestones on there any day. I'll be going with the 010's again when I have to replace 'em. I don't drag the bike, and I may see like 1 track day evey couple of years (first one is next month, woo hoo). I hit some twisty's every now and then. So I'm wondering if the 020's might be a good choice for me. But I don;t want to give up any noticebale canyon carving abaility. Anyone tried the 020's? Or what about an 010 front and an 020 rear combo???

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dunlop is still making the 207's and also the 208's. but with reviews i've read in various magazines the 207 is not worth having compared to the 208 so maybe the 207 is on it's way out??? and i definately agree that tire preference goes mainly with your style of riding.

billy m.
1998 ZX6R
WTF is a Gixxer?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had no complaints about Dunlop 207s. I have purchased a 205 and just recently its replacement 220 for the rear. "That 205 lasted many more miles" They have more tread life. As far as my riding I do more distance than track style. I think I ride fast? I wouldn't know the difference until I tried new tires so for now I just adjust any feedback from the bike.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I think they are talking about the Dunlop D207RR's not living up. The Dunlop D207ZR's are the stock tire for new ZX-6Rs and seem to be a great street performance tire. That's what I'm running and like them alot. They do seem pretty slippery on the wet roads though.

I'm going to try the BT010's next, and if I don't push them to the limits, then I might go with the harder BT020's. Depends.

Why buy a super sticky tire if you can't use that on the street. Seems like a waste of money IMHO.

I heard the best is to run BT020's on the rear and BT010's on the front. They say they wear out about the same time, since front tires usually last longer than rear tires.

just my 02 cents...

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anybody try the Michelin Pilot sports. Great tires stick like glue. Seem to wear better than the 207s also.
My ten cents. My two cents is free

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use the Michelin Pilot Sports and love them. A little slow to warm up and they can be a bit ordinary on really cold days becuase of this. They turn in much quicker then the 207'S fitted OEM, grip better and wear better. My current rear has 8500km on it, consisting of high speed touring/mountain road scratching and 3 track days. Will do a 4th track day on them tomorrow and then fit a new one.

They are especially good at track days as the hotter they get the better they work. The 207'S seemed to get too hot at the track and stop gripping and just turn to jelly and the rubber seemed to just fall off them.

I also keen to try a set of the new M1 Metzlers as previous Metzlers I've used on other bikes have been great also.

Tony

·
Registered
64 Posts
quote:
I ran the stock D207, I had no complaints about them but I went with the BT010's for the replacement.

The BT010 are a great deal and great tire, It has great feedback and feels more stable then the D207 did (and I had no complaints about them)

Dennis Kirk will beat any advertised price by $1 (they include shipping in their final price) I know its only a $1 but they have great Customer Service and they always have them in stock. I got my tires for 180 shipped to my door, I ordered them and TWO DAYS later the tires were at my door.

I found a shop in LIC that will mount and balance a tire for $35 a tire - WHILE YOU WAIT.. I drove my tires there and dropped them off, then rode my bike and they did the change within an hour.

Where in LIC is the shop????
I need to get my rennsports mounted and I'm LOW as hell on funds...

Ride it 4 life!!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
quote:
quote:

Where in LIC is the shop????
I need to get my rennsports mounted and I'm LOW as hell on funds...

Ride it 4 life!!!
New York Honda
36-02 38TH ST
LONG ISLAND CITY NY, 11101
718-784-6200

·
Registered
53 Posts
quote:

I don't miss the D207s at all! I, too, am currently running BT010s. They've yet to let me down in the canyons, even when new an not-quite-yet scrubbed in. I would have no problem recommending them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
quote:
quote:

I don't miss the D207s at all! I, too, am currently running BT010s. They've yet to let me down in the canyons, even when new an not-quite-yet scrubbed in. I would have no problem recommending them.
Yeah I agree, I would never get the D207's not even a thought in my my mind. My next set will be the BT010's again (unless something better comes along) But the BT010's are great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.