Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Michelin makes some excellent rubber. If you want something that is going to grip nearly the same from start to finish get yourself a set of Michelin Pilots. You needn't worry about mixing and matching different front and rear tire brands so long as you're aren't combining radials with bias-ply tires!

Reasonably priced, unlike Perillis. Lots of feel and a great all around tire.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you aren't tracking, I highly recommend the Bridgestone BATTLAX BT020. I am very fond of this tire for street use.

You def. can't go wrong with the Michelin's like Strong Bad suggested.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have been using the Metzelar Rennsport MEZ, very good tire. Unfortunately it appears they are not making it any more so I have a set of Metzelar M1 Sportecs sitting in the garage ready to go on.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You will not be disappointed with the M-1's... They are 10 times the tire Dunlops are!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i run the 208 and no problems. i just ride streets and sometimes empty curvy roads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Money to quality ratio, whats the best one if there even is a best one? I dont go to the track down here so thats not a worry. I want a tire that will be there for me rain or shine.

Bridgestone BATTLAX BT020
Michelin Pilots
Metzelar M1
Pirelli Diablo
Dunlop 208

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by thewzard

Money to quality ratio, whats the best one if there even is a best one? I dont go to the track down here so thats not a worry. I want a tire that will be there for me rain or shine.

Bridgestone BATTLAX BT020
Michelin Pilots
Metzelar M1
Pirelli Diablo
Dunlop 208
My rating:
1. Pirelli Diablo
1. Metzeler M1
3. Dunlop 208
4. Michelin Pilots
------
5. Bridgestone BATTLAX BT020 (Good tyre, but more touring orientated)

As far as Diablo and M1 go, they're supposed to be basically the same tyre with a different tread pattern, so buy the cheaper one. Pirelli and Metzeler are sharing resources in their production lines so pick the one that suites your wallet best.

I haven't tried Dunlop 208, but they're supposed to be ok tyres.

My experiences with Pilot sports haven't been that good, so they take the last spot. Here's more on the subject:
http://forum.zx6r.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5101
I would buy them only if I could get two sets of them in the price of one set of Diablos... They're also a quite old design, so maybe you would be better of trying some newer (and better) tyres from other brands.

There's nothing wrong with BT020 if you want a good sport TOURING tyre but I would suggest that you also check out BT012 or BT010 from Bridgestone. They would compare better with the other tyres on your list. I would place both bt012 and bt010 above Dunlop 208 based on the stuff I've seen, heard and read.

·
Registered
315 Posts
ive been runing 208s and they are SHIT! im so sick of paying 150 bucks every 1500 or 2000 miles for a rear tire. im going with the bridgestones next time. my dad got a 020(?) rear and it has a nice high arch to it. maybe it wont get that terrible flat spot that the 208s get. as far as grip goes the 208 is top notch, just doesnt last long.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I run the BT010 on the front and the BT020 on the rear. Great in the rain and if you're not pushing the bike to the limits they offer great tractions. And you should get pretty damned decent milage out of this combo.

Makes me laugh everytime I outrun guys using stickier rubber in the twisties...these are the same guys making fun of me putting the sport touring BT020 tire on my supersport...

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's what I was saying.. if you aren't tracking, the BT020 Rear/BT010 Front is a great street tire combination (I use this same combo, Andy). It works in the rain, it works on the twisties, it's got good feel, even wear, and will hold up longer over milage and are a little less expensive.

It all depends on what you are lookin for in a tire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.