Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I finally got bumblebee on the road and love every second of it except when i am at stop light ALONE!.
I just sit there and site the and then sit some more. WTF how come stop lights cant read that my bike is there and needs to turn green? Today I literally waited like 5 minutes on stop light and nothing happened so I turned right instead and made a U turn...
What to do? :eek:

anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Not all lights will read a bike. I have heard a number of different little tricks, including putting your kickstand down at a light, using your starter once on the theory that the EMP field from that will trigger it, to even doing a little stoppie on the sensor area of the light.

I just wait for the light to cycle twice, and then go when it's clear. I think it's legal to do so in Oregon.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Great question! This happens to me a lot when I'm riding in the 'burbs, even when my husband and I are together, side by side on the sensor. It can't even read two bikes as one vehicle. WTF?! It's maddening. A few times we've even motioned for a friendly-looking cager behind us to pull up onto the sensor.

Thanks for the tips, Jason. Stoppies at lights ftw! :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
depending on your state its legal to proceed trough the light.
you must come to a complete stop wait to ensure its safe to cross and then go trough.
at least thats what GA said

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
depending on your state its legal to proceed trough the light.
you must come to a complete stop wait to ensure its safe to cross and then go trough.
at least thats what GA said
Its NY bud I wouldnt be surprised if I get ticket for spitting on the ground... Some of the dumbest laws are in NY

·
Registered
28,787 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Check your state laws. For example in Texas all sensing traffic lights must be able to sense all allowable vehicles including motorcycles. If they don't then you are allowed to run the red light when it's safe to do so.

BTW I've tried the magnets in fact I placed 3 magnets on my old bike and I could never get any lights to work.

Anyway just my 2 cents

·
Registered
233 Posts
We are lucky to have few light crossings in norway except for in the big citys. However there are some sensor light crossing at some places where I ride.
I have heard from a friend, don't actually know it for a fact, that you are supposed to wait until it turns green ( which won't happen on a bike until a car pulls up). If you cross it without the green light you get a fine that may be up to 1000$. ( yeah, norway). However I believe most police would be kind enough to let you guy if you cross when there are no cars around and they understand your sit.

Dunno what I would do, definetly not wait forever or jump up and down on the sensor to get it on. Probably just drive when it'd be safe.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Lots of good ideas already mentioned except maybe the stoppie, how's that supposed to help with the light?

When stuck at one of these triggered lights you can get off the bike and go push the pedestrian crossing button :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Lots of good ideas already mentioned except maybe the stoppie, how's that supposed to help with the light?

When stuck at one of these triggered lights you can get off the bike and go push the pedestrian crossing button :rolleyes:
the weight generated by the G forces of the bike sometimes trigger the sensor/.
theres two sensor types. inductive and weight-sensing.
the first has a loop of wire with power running thru it that sets up a large magnetic field. it's whats called a hall effect sensor. when a ferrous metal passes thru the field, the field deflects from the reactive magnetism of the ferrous metal. the change in the primary field changes the inductance of the loop or wire in the roadbed and this change is picked up by the computer in the light control box. the computer has to see a certain amount of change in the field inductance otherwise it's ruled out as a false signal.. the EMP from stabbing the start button works on some of these. i've done it here where i live and a couple of them react to it.

the other type is simply a weight sensor.. problem is bikes displace so little weight that the amount of physical deflection in the roadbed isn't enough to trigger the minimum signal needed to be inputted by the weight sensor in the pavement. there should be an IR sensor or radar if you ask me.. something other than those 2 types..

·
Registered
737 Posts
the weight generated by the G forces of the bike sometimes trigger the sensor/.
theres two sensor types. inductive and weight-sensing.
the first has a loop of wire with power running thru it that sets up a large magnetic field. it's whats called a hall effect sensor. when a ferrous metal passes thru the field, the field deflects from the reactive magnetism of the ferrous metal. the change in the primary field changes the inductance of the loop or wire in the roadbed and this change is picked up by the computer in the light control box. the computer has to see a certain amount of change in the field inductance otherwise it's ruled out as a false signal.. the EMP from stabbing the start button works on some of these. i've done it here where i live and a couple of them react to it.

the other type is simply a weight sensor.. problem is bikes displace so little weight that the amount of physical deflection in the roadbed isn't enough to trigger the minimum signal needed to be inputted by the weight sensor in the pavement. there should be an IR sensor or radar if you ask me.. something other than those 2 types..
Uh,yeah, what he said! :D

·
Hooligan
1,704 Posts
our lights are timed here. on long ones ill run n press the button to change the light

my issue lol was getting the damn door at the car wash to open - via weight pad, 3 bikes on the sensor wouldnt do it, then we pulled right up to the door n got a couple of seniors in an old buick to pull up behind us onto the sensor :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts