Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to pick up my new bike, a 1995 zx6r red and purple ( just sold my 97 red and purple 250 ). My question is that the guy said it has sat for a month ( due to temp ) so what should I do before trying to start it? Any help would be nice, just don't want to try to start it and figure out I shoulda cleaned something or rather. Thanks a lot!
matt m

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
To be honest, nothing. But it depends on a couple things.
When was the last time the oil was changed, the spark plugs changed, the air filter cleaned, the chain lubed, was Stabil added to the fuel, etc?

A month really isn't that long a time, but it depends on if it was stored in a warm/cold garage, or if it was kept outdoors, and a bit of water might have gotten into the tank past the gas cap seal...

I personally would just take the key and fire it up. If it runs, I'd ride it home.

BC.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've had to let mine sit for a month at a time. Usually nothing too bad happens to it in 90 days. Make sure the tires have enough air in them.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Even if it were in perfect shape the fuel will have evaporated from the float bowls. It takes a lot of grinding on the starter to refill them and get the engine running. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a can of starting fluid at Autozone or Walmart for a buck or so. Spray a good shot into each of the air intakes on the front of the bike and then try to start it. It should fire right up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, I planned on lubing the chain, and changing the oil the second it reaches my house, just wondered if it was ok to start. Thanks a lot!
matt m

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.