Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my suspension is getting soft big time (almost 35k!)
i'm thinking about some options and would like some opinions
since it's already august might as well wait to do it in the winter?

1).revalve/spring current stock fronts, revalve/spring stock rear(is it worth the $, don't even have a rough idea how much cost is)
2).get 07/08 stock front forks ebay, stock rear shock with low miles ebay
3).Matris cartridges are on clearance half off, $667 for front, same with Matris shock for $810, but it's for an RR, so i'd have to also get the linkage for RR off ebay, saw some cheap.
4).ride current setup a few more miles and wait for winter/spring to work on the suspension, if so what route would you go? (keeping in mind the high miles, no track, no commute, just all mountain/twisties, worthless to sell?, keeper then for sure)

i'm leaning towards option #4 but those matris prices makes it hard for me aaaaah can't decide wtf to do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can always go with option 3, but wait until the winter to install it all (though that would be like making a kid wait until January to open Christmas presents).

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
Call Race-Tech and get your suspension re-valved during the winter or buy newer 07-08 ZX6R forks & shocks or Ohlins fork inernals & shock.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
On the cheap, ebay 07/08 forks and see if you can find 05/06 RR shock and linkages. That setup will beat the shit out of the stock stuff even when it was new.

Otherwise, revalve the forks, go with the Race Tech stuff or similar or spend the extra money on an Ohlins/Race Tech/other cartridge kit. Get an aftermarket rear shock like the Penske, Elka, HyperPro or at the higher end, Ohlins again.

Since you have winter downtime, I would wait until then since its getting close for many and do the suspension rebuild over the winter.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
A job like that would have me taking my bike to the dealership to install the forks. I'd find some way to fugg it up totally and that's one thing you don't want to mess up! If money's no object, start saving up for ohillins forks! Seriously I would probably do the 07/08 thing on ebay though for newer technology at the cheapest onset.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input guys, i'll definitely keep in mind all those ideas
will just do it over the winter period

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
well how hard do you really ride?? track, street etc??? if your only riding so hard then i would just get the front resprung & valved for your weight as well as the rear w/ a new spring for your weight

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would take it to some pros, like a race shop or the trackside vender if you do trackday's, let them look at it, measure it and recommend improvements.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
I would take it to some pros, like a race shop or the trackside vender if you do trackday's, let them look at it, measure it and recommend improvements.
true ;) so many ppl want to put all this fancy suspension shit on their bikes when in reality they can't even come close to outriding the stock suspension (no offense to the OP) I feel that i'm a pretty good rider but i'm not that good that i need ohlins to be honest & i'm on the stock springs/valves , & i'll bet that 90% of the forum ain't that good that they need ohlins, so instead of spending thousands on suspension work, get the front/rear done for your weight & save the money for riding time (i.e track days, schools etc..) just my .02 ;)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm not the best rider by any means but i did decide to finally tackle the suspension, matris cartridges couple hundred more than it would have cost to rework my stock, made more sense to me.

just waiting on my Elka 3way shock to be delivered and time for install :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts