Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you had as much money as you needed what mods would you do to a stock bike to convert it to a race machine?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I wouldn't want to convert my bike to a dedicated race machine. But it would be nice to have a fast reliable street/trackday bike with loads of trick parts. Fortunately -03 6R is fast and reliable in stock form too ;)

List of nice to have goodies:

-Öhlins front and rear suspension + base suspension settings by a qualified technician for my favourite tracks and street use

-Öhlins steering damper

-A large pile of Mez rennsports (Streetrace and RS versions with all compounds) + tyre warmers for trackdays

-PCIII + Akrapovic exhaust + all engine mods that do not compromise reliability

-Carbon bodywork would be nice but not an absolute necessity ;)

-Quickshifter wouldn't hurt...

-Braided hoses

-Slipper clutch would be nice

-Loads of track time and maybe a track school :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
2004 zx6rr:
*engine tuned and built to ama supersport regs by team kawasaki mechanic
*ohlins fork internals, ohlins triple adjustable shock, and top mount stearing damper installed and set up by ohlins tech
*akrapovic evolution system
*quickshifter
*stock pile of nicely painted sharkskinz
*stock pile of michelin s2 fronts with m2 and h2 rears
*vesrah pads and brake rotors
*goodridge -2 race lines
*tons of woodcraft/cfm iteams

if i only had the money :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
And a throttle management system that can't be beat like the EBOZ or Hayden system. That would really make it a race bike despite any other modification. Hell, that's the only problem with 99.9% of the sportbikes out there (shitty throttle management systems).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Everything Routa listed (slipper clutch a definite), plus a thumb brake. If its not my money, its sure easy to spend it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
akarapovic ti slip on (theyre gettin g more power than the full systems)
PCIIIR
BMC Race Filter
Engine: Web Cams, Decked head, Decked Block, Intake and exhaust ported and polished, machine the tops of the pistons flat, 1 mil kit to bump the 636 even higher, stroker crank, slipper clutch, factory shift kit
Ohlins triple clicker rear (already have it)
Ohlins internals in forks (already have it)
Full Sharkskinz
Giles rearsets
Giles adjustable triple trees
Vortex fairing stay on top of a fabbed metal ram air duct (plastic ones crack too easy)
double bubble windscreen
kevlar lines all around
Vortex frame sliders and swingarm spool/sliders
EBC rotors
Lightened rear rotor
Mount to keep rear axle locked to swingarm
16.5" magnesium rims with pirelli slicks
Woodcraft Clipons

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Quicktoy
you're kidding right?!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by spartan 116
Originally posted by Quicktoy
you're kidding right?!
ystems and 5 slip ons
nope, shop i work at has done a lot of testing with the 636s and 600RRs and weve tested maybe 5 full systems and 5 slip ons on different 636S..with and without power commanders....end result? Slip ons always produced more power....I guess kawi just had that header figured out

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, please post some dyno charts. That's quite a statement, and VERY interesting if true, but I think we'd like to see some numbers to back it up....

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by Rodan
Yes, please post some dyno charts. That's quite a statement, and VERY interesting if true, but I think we'd like to see some numbers to back it up....
I dont have any dyno charts, they went to the people who oned the bikes... I couldn't believe it either, but im not stupid, Ive been around race bikes for awhile now and know what does and doesnt work on motor setups and the fact is..that kawi just has built a great header on those bikes and i wouldn't touch it. All i know is next season, i could put any exhaust i want to on my 636 for racing, and im gonna run an akro slip on due to the fit and finish of the acros ( i crashed on my acro 4 times this season and it has a few dents ( my hindles used to just destroy themselves if id lowside the bike on em.....but most of the slipons were gettin within 2 h.p. of one another

·
Registered
50 Posts
All of the data should be saved in the dyno computer if its a DJ. Just a matter of pulling up a couple of runs and printing them out.

What kind of peak numbers were you seeing with the slip ons? Did the bikes have equivalent levels of tuning (ie, no PC, PC w/ DJ map, PC with custom map)?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Something's not right there. I won't say you're incorrect or lying but...

Superbike Magazine (UK) tested the 636 with an Akrapovic full-ti slip-on AND a PCIII gained just under 4hp over the stock system.

Wan2Fly from this forum gained 9hp with an Evo and a PCIII. Sportrider tested an Evo on a 6R and gained... 9 horsepower. The dyno shop I refer to in a nearby city has done two 636's and gained "about" 10 horsepower (1 on the Race system, 1 on the Evo). I spoke with a rider at a track day who added an Evo to a 6RR who said he gained 11hp.

For the record, Tony Meiring and Tommy Hayden went with Evo full systems, as did Fabien Foret. ;)

Please post dyno charts.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by dj dunzie
Something's not right there. I won't say you're incorrect or lying but...

Superbike Magazine (UK) tested the 636 with an Akrapovic full-ti slip-on AND a PCIII gained just under 4hp over the stock system.

Wan2Fly from this forum gained 9hp with an Evo and a PCIII. Sportrider tested an Evo on a 6R and gained... 9 horsepower. The dyno shop I refer to in a nearby city has done two 636's and gained "about" 10 horsepower (1 on the Race system, 1 on the Evo). I spoke with a rider at a track day who added an Evo to a 6RR who said he gained 11hp.

For the record, Tony Meiring and Tommy Hayden went with Evo full systems, as did Fabien Foret. ;)

We never tested a full Acro, just the slip on..the full systems we did test though were the full Hindle, the Full Micron, the Full muzzy, the full m4...and thats what i can remember off the top of my head.....compared to every slipon we did, those full systems were lower
Please post dyno charts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.