Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats a good chain oil to use to lubrcate the chain and that the book says to use a 90 weight gear oil is that good or is there a certain oil someone could recomend

·
Registered
104 Posts
i use motul chain lube, i think if you used 90 weight oil it would make a huge mess lots of my friends use chain wax, cant remember what brand.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use motul cleaner and lube, put just the right amount and the fling is very minimal.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Motorex 611 or 211 . Can't remember which one is which. One is the chain cleaner the other is the wax. I clean every 600 miles and lube every 300. They also make a REALLY good helmet cleaner. Spray inside , let foam up wipe dry. Helmet always nice and fresh. Made in Switzerland

·
Registered
550 Posts
I use Bel-Ray lube. I just can't make myself believe that the Chain Wax stuff can get in behind the o-rings, where the chain needs lubrication the most. Of course, it probably doesn't need to - any time I've broken an old, rusty, un-lubed o-ring chain the stuff behind the o-rings has always been pretty and wet.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Probably the most important part of the clean and lube is the cleaning part. On a modern o-ring or x-ring chain you want to keep road grit from chewing up the seals that keeps the factory lube around the roller pins from escaping. Chains don't actually stretch over time, what happens is the pins gradually wear away and the distance between each link increases. Keeping the pins lubed slows that process down, which increases the lifespan of the chain.

So clean your chain thoroughly with kerosine or a commercial chain cleaner, then let it dry before you apply lubricant. Kerosine can be bought at most hardware stores, or if space is limited most lamp or tiki torch oil is kerosine. Beyond that, what lube you use isn't as important. I've used all the major brands I don't think that anything actually outperforms 90 weight gear oil. Use whatever floats your boat, but take the time to get the chain clean before you apply new lubricant. Oh, and take a moment to align and tension it properly, too.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I used to use Maxima Chain Wax but that stuff flung off easy and collected a lot of grit. I switched to PJ1 Blue Label and that stuff is great. Doesn't fling off at all. I been using wd-40 to clean my chain but i'm gonna buy bottle of the PJ1 cleaner

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
WD-40 for cleaning followed by PJ1 Black label lube

·
Registered
604 Posts
I use motorex chain cleaner and pj1 lube. the lube is pretty good but i've heard about this teflon based lube that dupont has out. it's multipurpose but webbikeworld says that it works really well and rates it above most of the other lubes on the market. you can try pickin some up at your local harware store or even bicycle shop. I'm going to try some out and let you guys know how it is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.