Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a party last night and i was talking to a kid that had an r6. He said the r6 could beat the 6r no problem. Also he said that kawasaki was cheaply made. I have an 02 and he has an 02. How do they match up to each other if they were both stock?

Wish i wasnt a beginner rider or i would show him 6r can hang[}:)]

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
There's not much between the two bikes, especially in terms of power. A good rider can more than make up for the differences between the two, but as a self-confessed beginner, I wouldn't worry so much about whose bike is 1/10th faster. Just enjoy the fact you've got a great bike and work on gettin' your riding skills down so that next year you'll be able to "hang" with him... Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
unless one has mods they should even up. dont know the R6 specs though.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Here's the '01 numbers as neither '02 bike had a seperate test. The '02 times should be comparable. (US measurements)

HP | Torque | 1/4 Mile | Wet Weight

Ninja 6r: [email protected],500 / [email protected],250 / [email protected] / 435

Yamaha R6: [email protected],500 / [email protected],000 / [email protected] / 426

And a few other stats.

0-60 | 0-100 | 60-80 Top Gear Roll-on | Best MPG | Tank Range

Ninja 6r: 3.30 / 7.32 / 4.39 / 48 / 154

Yamaha R6: 3.33 / 6.94/ 4.24 / 44 / 148

As you can see the bikes are so close (as are the CBRF4 and the Gix 6 as well) it is almost futile for a everyday street rider to get into an argument of which bike is best. It is a case-by-case basis and user preference. The numbers are so close, are they really worth comparing?

And I can gladly give a list of about 20 reasons why I'd take an '02 6r over an R6.

-Flash

·
Registered
56 Posts
yeah you can't always go by what the magazines say for quarter mile and roll on because it depends on a lot on the rider, a fat guy who can't get a good duck going is gonna be a lot slower than 115 little guy like myself who can practically get his whole body behind the tiny windscreen. And of course it depends on the riders skill level.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by MnM

I was at a party last night and i was talking to a kid that had an r6. He said the r6 could beat the 6r no problem. Also he said that kawasaki was cheaply made. I have an 02 and he has an 02. How do they match up to each other if they were both stock?

Yeah to bad hahaha; for the record I beat my friend's 2003 R6 on my 2002 zx6r. The difference was fuel. He had full I was 1/2 I beat him easy then I pulled a wheelie at 55 mph, dang I love this bike

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
surprising I think the amount of gas does effect the bike to a degree, I can pull easy power wheelies on an empty tank...but when it's full I have alot of trouble...

How may pounds does 1 galoon of fuel weight? Mulitply that by say 3 gallons for a nearly empty tank and you got yourself a couple extra horses ;)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If I'm not mistaken (for a rough estimate), 1 gallon of water weights 8lbs...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Kaws made cheap, I think he's just referring to that they make a bit more mechanical noise in the earlier years, like my year 99, which I never notice. I just listen to the growl of my two bros.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by tommyboynjataol

hmm a half a tank of gas isnt going to win you the race. Its like 3 lbs. Im sure it was skills though right.
gasoline weighs 9 lbs a gallon... at half tank or so thats like 25 lbs or more difference... enuf to make a difference if both riders were compareable in weight.. (not flaming just man gas is heavy heh... ever carry a full 5 gallon can a long way?... it gets heavy lol)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
dont they say ~7lbs eguals 1 HP, so 21 lbs lighter due to half a tank of gas will fell like roughly 3 more HP on the bike...

one of the reasons I"m trying to loose some wight...easier power wheelies ;)

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676

surprising I think the amount of gas does effect the bike to a degree, I can pull easy power wheelies on an empty tank...but when it's full I have alot of trouble...

It's in your head Andy. I used to think the same thing, but I can fill my tank to the brim and pull out of the gas station doing a power wheelie just as easy as when the tank is empty. I don't believe that taking off your fairings which weigh five pounds apiece, tops, makes a bike into a "wheelie god" as some think.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Gas weighs 6lbs. Water is 8lbs. For the record, gas floats on water, that's why it sinks to the bottom of your tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by MnM

I can't really say for the 02's. I'm sure they are very very close though.
My only experience was with 00's. I was on my 6R and my friend was on an R6. Both bikes accellerated at the same rate really. We were neck-and-neck the whole way.
The only difference was that the guy on the R6 couldn't keep the front wheel down! My 6R was planted the whole way.

I personally would rather have the bike that stays planted, than one that wants to loop itself!

DT

·
Registered
446 Posts
I know that 03 6R verus R6 isn't much of a competition. Of course it could have something to do with the other guy being afraid to go over 140.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
What's faster?
Me, of course.

Wait, what was the question?
[:eek:)]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.