Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
They're definitely not aluminium.

However, they are stainless steel (even though they rust a little bit).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stainless steel possesses a very long ringing sound when struck or energized vs. titanium which has an extremely short ring, or atleast thats what we are told in the aviation industry

·
Registered
301 Posts
Gary12of72:

So your saying that Kawasaki went out of their way to make your header out of titanium?
[:M74][:M75] I don’t think so. If you want to be positive give that your exhaust is titanium, give it a spark test. YOUR sparks should be bright white. I guarantee they aren’t.

Cozzman: are you planning on doing this yourself? Are you welding this? What is your approach to making your custom exhaust.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well Breath, if your "spark" test means taking a grinder or such to my header....I would rather not. There is another way to tell if my header is titanium, it's called NDI (form of ultra-sound) which...being in Army aviation...I just happen to have access to. Well we did an NDI to my header when I first got my bike because it happened to be a topic of discussion at the hanger and yup, it sure is titanium....unless the guy doing our NDI inspections doesn't know what he is doing, which I hope he does cause I fly on these helicopters everyday.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by Breath
Gary12of72:

So your saying that Kawasaki went out of their way to make your header out of titanium?
[:M74][:M75] I don’t think so. If you want to be positive give that your exhaust is titanium, give it a spark test. YOUR sparks should be bright white. I guarantee they aren’t.

Cozzman: are you planning on doing this yourself? Are you welding this? What is your approach to making your custom exhaust.
...Owned

·
Registered
301 Posts
Originally posted by Gary12of72
Well Breath, if your "spark" test means taking a grinder or such to my header....I would rather not. There is another way to tell if my header is titanium, it's called NDI (form of ultra-sound) which...being in Army aviation...I just happen to have access to. Well we did an NDI to my header when I first got my bike because it happened to be a topic of discussion at the hanger and yup, it sure is titanium....unless the guy doing our NDI inspections doesn't know what he is doing, which I hope he does cause I fly on these helicopters everyday.
You doing an NDI test (Nondestructive inspection) on your header and used an ultrasound and still came up titanium? NDI uses a sensor technology that detects defects in the metal, like cracks. If your NDI Team Still thinks its Titanium they shouldn’t have a job anymore….Strike an arc on the bottom of your header, then stick titanium in there. Its not gonna stick, and your not gonna ruin your header. Post a pic of the titanium rod stuck to your header and ill believe you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Different metals require different settings on the NDI but hey, I am not here to argue. Whatever my header is made out of should not upset your day or life. I know what MY header is and if Kawi or the dealership put it on there makes no difference to me. When I found out it was titanium I didn't bother to call Kawi or the dealership and say "Hey, you want to charge me more for this header?"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya, there was a guy on here that made his own exhaust. it went from the header strait to a can he made. i got some stainless from work and bent everything...just got to get it welded. i molded an undertail for the bike...i will try to post pics when i get it done. thanks for the info everyone

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I am sure that is a Ti header. My bike came with mag wheels and a carbon fiber rods. I am sure they are cause it is so fast. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Originally posted by cozzman
ya, there was a guy on here that made his own exhaust. it went from the header strait to a can he made. i got some stainless from work and bent everything...just got to get it welded. i molded an undertail for the bike...i will try to post pics when i get it done. thanks for the info everyone
You're talking to him right here in this thread........

·
Registered
995 Posts
Originally posted by Gary12of72
Different metals require different settings on the NDI but hey, I am not here to argue. Whatever my header is made out of should not upset your day or life. I know what MY header is and if Kawi or the dealership put it on there makes no difference to me. When I found out it was titanium I didn't bother to call Kawi or the dealership and say "Hey, you want to charge me more for this header?"
you must be special. want a cookie? I don't know of any middle class bikes that have titanium systems from the factory. Unless your dealer installed a full Ti exhaust for you, you're exhaust will most likely be stainless steel. An easy way to check? Run your bike for a few mins and kill the engine. let it cool for a bit. if it's cool to the touch, it's Ti. If it's blistering hot before you even touch it, it's steel. Keep running your tests if you like, I like to keep things simple.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yep. Take the damn thing off. If it is Ti, it will weigh almost nothing. If it is stainless, it will weigh about as much as the cannister.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie
I am sure that is a Ti header. My bike came with mag wheels and a carbon fiber rods. I am sure they are cause it is so fast. :)
Heh. You aint right bro.:D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.