Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Looks like the cheaper one is full leather with no real stretch panels.

More expensive one has that spine deelio, and some "metal woven" fiber bull.

Go to a local shop and try em on, see which you like!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Also, in case you haven't noticed before, Icon is a very urban brand. Yea, its leather, but the fit just isn't there like real motorcycle gear. Just my 2 cents in case that's not entirely what you're looking for... I made that mistake myself back when I started riding and hated my Icon stuff after that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, in case you haven't noticed before, Icon is a very urban brand. Yea, its leather, but the fit just isn't there like real motorcycle gear. Just my 2 cents in case that's not entirely what you're looking for... I made that mistake myself back when I started riding and hated my Icon stuff after that.

So what do you recommend? Can you recommend me a leather jacket that offers superb back, shoulder, elbow (Chest, but not necessary) protection and cost within the 300-400 dollar range?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
So what do you recommend? Can you recommend me a leather jacket that offers superb back, shoulder, elbow (Chest, but not necessary) protection and cost within the 300-400 dollar range?
don't worry about it dude, spend that 300-400 dollars failing the msf a couple more times.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
With my mild gear experience, I would say that $300-$400 would get you quite a bit for a jacket. I personally run a 2 piece Teknic suit, the jacket is a Teknic Violator which fits superbly and has all the necessary Knox brand padding. Retail is $400, but I paid $325 from eBay from a seller named "flyinbrian31". A lot of the cheapest gear prices I can find, with good service too.

Others I myself would consider running in that range could be (with a link to something in that price range):

Alpinestars MX-1 (can be found for $400 in the right place)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alpi...021QQitemZ310056460203QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Teknic Violator (2008 model, different than my own. Here for $320)
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2145

Like I said, my experience is minimal, but I know to stay towards something more race specific. It's also nice to look for a jacket that has a wrap around waist zipper so leather pants can be attached when riding to form a solid 2 piece suit. I don't believe Icon offers anything like that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been searching for the Teknic Violator 2008 model, but they don't have it in my size. Anyone know what's up with Teknic?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have the Icon Motorhead Jacket and I've crushed in the Icon before and I'm still alive now to tell the story. lol The Accelerant one has that stupid metal fin on the back, that's pretty much all the difference there is.

Even though I agree with tdahle about the fit, I don't agree with the whole brand thing. As it is a pretty good quality jacket (it uses 1.4 mm leather and CE approved protection, just like the rest of them). Like I said, I don't think it's so much the brand, it's the fit of the Jacket. If it fits you loosely, then in case of a crash it will not be as efficient in protecting you as the one which fits you snug.

So... like many of people above me already said, go to a stealership and try one on and if it fits you nice and snug, then you are good to go.

But if you get the one with the metal fin, then you'll have to get a mohawk for your helmet. lol

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yes, there are perforations on the arms of the jacket. And shoulders and chest have vents that you can zip open or close. It's not too bad even in the 90 degree heat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts